interview tips

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
luxor1706

interview tips

Post by luxor1706 »

can anyone give us some tips of what types of questions are generally asked in interviews in Indie schools?
how does one prepare for this?

thanks
harrow123

Re: interview tips

Post by harrow123 »

Standard questions

Why do u want to come to this school

tell ur about ur current school, what do u like

tell about ur family

what are ur hobbies/interests

what do u want to be when u grow

PS: If ur dc is currently already at indie then they may help ur dc by conducting mock intereview
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Check the websites of the appropriate schools. I was reading one for St. Bede's College in Manchester and this is what they stated on the web-site:

'All candidates who have taken the entrance examination are interviewed in mid November. Parents are invited to attend the interview. The interview comprises questions on mental arithmetic and the candidate is asked to read a passage and answer questions on it. Questions are also asked about a candidate’s academic and extra-curricular interests'.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Great friend of mine just got her four children into St Bede's College, Manchester.. ranging in age and part way through September as it was an unexpected move - all were offered a place.. one is dyslexic.

What age are the children you're trying to get into Indie.. is it a key entry point into the school or mid year etc ? We've been through the process twice now and are far more relaxed about it having done it. The first time I look round an Indie I borrowed a pearl necklace and wore a posh jumper ! I was so nervous I had written a list of questions myself. It turned out not to be all we expected so we thought we'd try and put our DS's into a really great indie and they had to sit entrance exams. We prep'd both a bit with age appropriate Bond's papers and hoped they'd cope with being interviewed. They obviously did as they were both offered places.

My advice would be .. remember you should interview the school too ! You're the one spending the money.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Some common questions for those seeking admission to Year 7 in my DC's school:
1. "Which news story has caught your eye during the last week?"
2. "Is there anything you want to ask about the school?" My DD asked for a tour of the library!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Mikedellfarm, from your username I assumed you were male. Then I read that you borrowed a pearl necklace and was just wondering, how did the posh jumper and pearls play out? :lol:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

:D :D :D
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

I remember once while DD was being interviewed and parents were waiting in Reception, a woman made her husband wait in the car as he had not changed into a suit and was still in his running gear!
3HMum

Re: interview tips- Old Palace

Post by 3HMum »

Hi Everyone,

It would be great if anyone had tips about interviews at Old Palace. My dd will be attending one soon and we would so much appreciate some feedback or/and any help at all.

Thanks you :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now