kingston grammar school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mynameisbond

kingston grammar school

Post by mynameisbond »

Calling all KGS parents please ! Just wondering whether anyone knows the kinds of scores a child should be getting to have any chance of success at this entrance test ? My son is scoring around 85% in Maths and English and around 90% in VR. I know from reading these pages over the last few years that some of your children have been successful in this test and wondered if anyone could please give me any advice/views ? Many thanks
sgsgirl

Re: kingston grammar school

Post by sgsgirl »

I am looking for the answers to this question too. Anyone out there whose child has got in and would like to share their experience please?
newyorkmum

Post by newyorkmum »

My son was offered an 11+ place 2 years ago. I am not sure what his scores were. As maths was his weakest area we did a few Bond papers beforehand (fifth ones, I think, so slightly higher level) and from memory he was scoring around 85% on a good day! His scores from his CAT tests put him overall on the 90th percentile of the average national ability range ie top 10%. His verbal scores were on the 98th percentile. I think they picked up on the fact that his maths was a bit weak, because most of his interview questions were about maths, further testing his abilities. I do remember that the verbal and non-verbal papers were combined and also that the timing on the creative writing paper was tight, compared with some other schools he sat for. I seem to remember that they allocated some planning time and then according to my son, about 10 to 15 mins to write. I know of 2 other boys who passed the papers and were called for interview but then were not offered places. They were both fairly bright boys and were offered places at Hampton, so I am not sure why they weren't offered places at KGS. I got the impression that they are looking for the naturally bright with potential, rather than the well educated.

From your son's scores, I would have thought that his chances would be good. They do also take age into account, so especially good for summer born boys.
sgsgirl

Post by sgsgirl »

Thank you very much newyorkmum for your reply. I was wondering if ISEB write the Kingston grammar papers, or if the school writes them internally. I'm especially interested in the VR. Is it similar to Nfer? Anyone with any more information about this and first hand experience?
Thisismadness

Post by Thisismadness »

I have first hand experience - my DS1 got in (and goes) to kgs and my DS2 didn't (last year's exam). They're looking for kids who are fairly strong in both maths and english, I honestly don't think the verbal/non verbal reasoning is a big thing, although they do take a paper - maybe it's refered to in borderline cases. I would focus much more on the maths and english. The national curriculum levels are quite a good guide. I'd say my DS1 was on a level 5 for all three (maths, comprehension and writing) by the time he took the exam (probably a high 5 for maths and comprehension) whereas my DS2 was level 5 maths and borderline 4/5 on comprehension but only level 4 on the writing. They called me with the results for my DS2 (because he was a sibling) and said he'd done really well in the reasoning paper and well in the maths but badly in the english (predictably - not his thing). That's what makes me think they're not that concerned with the reasoning. My DS1 had a "general interview" (ie no weak areas), my DS2 didn't get an interview (no sibling policy!!) but is very happy elsewhere.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now