Royal Masonic Entrance exams

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hertsmum2012

Royal Masonic Entrance exams

Post by Hertsmum2012 »

DD is taking the RMS entrance exams in January and I KNOW it says on the website

"Candidates for entry at 11+ spend a full day at RMS during which they take an online test, devised by the University of Durham, to assess their skills in English, Mathematics and Reasoning"

"The entrance test enables us to gauge accurately the girls’ true potential rather than how well they have been prepared or tutored for entrance examinations."

But has anyone had any experience of the tests?, we have just moved to the area so DD didn't take the 11+ and hence hasn't had any tutoring and whilst I know it says it accurately gauges true potential surely tutored girls will be at an advantage? as TBH she isn't exactly the most academically gifted girl in the world, so we are wondering whether to do 5 weeks cramming over the holidays!
mm23292

Re: Royal Masonic Entrance exams

Post by mm23292 »

I know a few children past and present from RMS..I can't comment on the tests myself, but they sound similar to those my dd took. Althought she did do a VR test similar to the 11+, the remainder of the assessments were more diverse, and like they say, are based on identifying potential, not neccessarily academic ability. They are not the type of tests that could directly benefit from 'coaching' type 11+ prep. Remember, a large focus of the indie, will be the value-added factor, taking the child, of whatever ability, and tailoring the education they offer, to suit their needs. So beyond ensuring revision of the basic maths skills, I would be fairly relaxed about it, I was with my DD, and she is in the top group for the subjects that are streamed. One of the girl's I know at RMS is definitely not what we might consider very 'bright' ( I dislike that word!) ...she did not take the 11+ because her parents knew there was no point, and did not want to put her through it. Partly school advice too...so I would not worry too much. Good luck, I am sure she will be just fine!
fairyelephant

Re: Royal Masonic Entrance exams

Post by fairyelephant »

The university of Durham compile the CEM tests for 11 plus used in Birmingham, Warwickshire and recently at Henrietta Barnett in Barnet. It sounds like it could be the same thing. Look on the Brum forum for a useful sticky containing details of content over the past few years, this should give you a good idea, if it is CEM. They are meant to be untutorable and identify potential, but you can do some prep so that it's not a completely unknown quantity. Fast working and solid basics will help I think.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now