DD1 rejctd Indie offrs 2yrs ago will it affct offrs for DD2?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
alphabeta1

DD1 rejctd Indie offrs 2yrs ago will it affct offrs for DD2?

Post by alphabeta1 »

Hi,

My DD1 rejected offers from couple of North London Indie schools in 2011 as she was offered HBS seat - which was our 1st choice. My DD2 will be applying for grammar and Inde schools in 2013.

I was advised by a tutor that I should not apply to same Indie schools that my DD1 rejected as they will consider DD2 less favorably on the basis that we have high probability of rejecting offers again.

I wanted to check if someone has had similar situation and what was your experience.

Thanks in advance for information and guidance.
hermanmunster

Re: DD1 rejctd Indie offrs 2yrs ago will it affct offrs for

Post by hermanmunster »

All indies will have many people rejecting them each year - lots of kids get more than one offer and camn only take one place so have to decline other places - suspect many of those at HBS will have declined more than one offer.
The Indies will be quite used to this and I doubt if they will trawl through the all the names of kids who have taken the exams over the years to see if a sibling was offered a place and declined it.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

I really don't think it affects your DD2's chances. Indies want the best candidates.
The opposite scenario is also common at the schools we applied to, ie the fact that a sibling attends a particular school doesn't mean a subsequent child will gain a space.
All in all I would treat your second child as you did your first and apply for the schools your feel will suit her best.
Good luck!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As with the other posters I do not agree with your tutors advice at all. We applied to the North London indies for my elder dd and like you turned down all our offers for our first choice selective state offer. We then applied to the very same indies the very next year for our younger dd and they welcomed us with open arms. There are posters on here who have elder dd's at HBS and and younger ones at NCLS so the indy's know that HBS does not suit all girls. Go ahead and apply for all the schools that interest you. Each sibling needs to be given the chance to make their own decisions. We had a sibling place but my younger dd still was given the chance to sit all schools she was interested in. DG
alphabeta1

Post by alphabeta1 »

hermanmunster, Yummiemummie, Daogroupie - Thanks for your reply and guidance.
pist

Post by pist »

The indies are used to offers being declined as each child probably tries for at least three schools and won't hold it against siblings. My youngest was was still offered a place at 7 at a (v good and popular) indie after turning the same school down twice for her older sibling. We didn't accept the offer for our youngest either, yet a place was again offered to our oldest at 11. We have now turned the same school down 4 times :shock: as it has always been our second choice but tbh I am now beginning to wonder if we should give it a miss for our youngest daughter's 11+ next year ....
alphabeta1

Post by alphabeta1 »

pist - Thanks for your reply and guidance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now