Rather foolish question - love your advice!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loveyouradvice

Rather foolish question - love your advice!

Post by loveyouradvice »

Hi... what do you send your DC in with to exams.

Yes, the pen/pencil/rubber/ruler they specify in a see-through pencil case.

But what else? Bottle of water and a tissue in a small bag, perhaps a snack?

Do they go in in their coats, or do you keep them?

No idea how it works - imagine its a bit of a scrum with so many kids all at once!
Bestichka

Re: Rather foolish question - love your advice!

Post by Bestichka »

Yes, the pencil case you described.
A transparent bag with a snack (DS loves crunchy yogurt+cereal bars, and jaffa cakes for extra sugar!), a drink (a 200ml packet of his favourite juice or just a small bottle of water), no fizzy drinks, no nuts. That's pretty much it. It's more to keep him comfortable instead of proper feeding - i'm sure that with a solid breakfast at home he can survive for 3 hours!

We're driving to most exams, so no need for a coat. He went into exam today in his favourite cord trousers, a white shirt and a jumper, school shoes.

Oh, and i always add a packet of tissues - DS is prone to have a runny nose at most awkward moments!

(aaargh, 2 more hours of wait - agonising!!!!!)
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

School normally specifies what to bring. Snack and drink and a tissue is all you need in a clear bag. Banana is a good option!
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

How did it go Bestichicka??? Nerve wracking I am sure for you - how was it for him???

Will be packing see-through bag - do you just mean a plastic food bag, or something more chic one throws over one's shoulder????
Bestichka

Post by Bestichka »

Oh God, i'm not really sure - he says English was fine and he felt confident, VR was very different to other schools but he gave it his best shot, but math was hardest (he's not math-inclined.....). All in God's hands now, and two more to go!

A very primitive plastic bag - like the one you use for unpacked fruit in supermarkets. ;)
ginx

Post by ginx »

I'm surprised you are allowed to take food in; for the 11+ and SATS, I have had to request that my dd2, who is diabetic, is allowed to take a snack in. Of course she is, the others are only allowed water in unlabelled bottles. I wouldn't send my dc in with food that was noisy to unwrap (banana sounds good - so long as it's not smelly)

I invigilate and last exam I was fairly sure someone had apple juice ... then thought it might have been white wine! but couldn't tell and as it was a mock, I didn't check. Don't see why you shouldn't have apple juice.

But that's for GCSE's and not indie exams so probably no help. Hope all goes well with your indie exams.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

My dd sat nine exams and a clear pencil case was all that was allowed with only pens and pencils. No ruler allowed. Certainly no food or drink allowed. In some you could have a bag with a snack for BETWEEN exams but nothing during. DG
bravado

Post by bravado »

Whilst I have no experience of Indie exams, for the CSSE 11+, DD was allowed pens, pencils, rubber, ruler, pencil sharpener in a clear plastic case/bag. No coloured pens or pencils allowed. They were also allowed to have a small snack in a clear bag, for the 20 minute break between exam two and three, although a biscuit and a drink was provided by the school. The snack bag and any tissues had to be placed underneath the desk.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

My daughter's school feed the 11+ candidates (all 700+ of them!) chocolate croissants at morning break and pizza at lunchtime. My daughter was very impressed when she sat the exam and last year got to join in as she was helping out. Next Wednesday as a sixth former she will be looking after a group of candidates and again getting her free food!

The school does allow unlabelled water bottles, but no food in the hall.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

I always send my DD in with a water bottle to have at break/s to help keep her hydrated. Always comes back full but at least she has it. She's also getting a little snack provided at break by school and shall send her in with the obligatory clear plastic bag with pen/pencil etc. Tissues are a must for us as she gets a bit sniffly though I have always checked this is alright when dropped her off, which it always is. She was under the weather for one of her GS exams and I asked if she could have some unwrapped cough/sore throat sweets during the exam. They were completely fine with that, as it was think she only had two during all exams. I am quite impressed with the fact she can wear her own clothes for her upcoming indie exam. I think it helps everyone feel 'the same' and at ease with one another with no prep/state divide as it were.

Possibly a stupid question, but why do the bottles need to be unlabelled?

Good luck!! Oh my, still yet to do any proper revision here :shock: