Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 pm 

Well DD has sat the Group 2 exam at NLCS - she said it went well - a good sign I hope.

The paper was pretty much as she expected...

I guess there were approximately 250+ girls sitting the exam at NLCS...pretty competitive this year.....

well ...a few days... until Habs....and then Group 1

then the wait!!!
:roll: :roll:

How did everyone else get on?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm 

DD sat for the exams at NLCS as well. She found the Maths paper easier than previous years. Hope she is right???? :wink: This is her last 11+ exam. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:11 pm 

The DD found the Maths slightly harder than the English...

Should hear by end of next week - the letters go out then for interview and result!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:46 pm 

Tabasco my dd agreed with yours that maths not as tricky as some past papers, English was normal level, ok. She seemed quite happy coming out, which is something I suppose! They mark the papers today so interview invitations can be made next week. Eek :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:43 pm 

A few years ago one of my daughters came out of the North London Consortium exam and burst into tears; she hadn't finished the maths paper and was sure she had got half the answers wrong. All the other girls seemed to be skipping away saying it was fine and they'd answered every question.

She was offered an interview, and subsequently a place, by every school she applied to, including two of the highest achieving schools in the country.

Good luck to everyone who has children sitting exams this month. It's stressful, not least for the parents, but don't worry too much about how your child says they have got on in the exam, they often can't really tell.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:22 am 

highwater wrote:
A few years ago one of my daughters came out of the North London Consortium exam and burst into tears; she hadn't finished the maths paper and was sure she had got half the answers wrong. All the other girls seemed to be skipping away saying it was fine and they'd answered every question.

She was offered an interview, and subsequently a place, by every school she applied to, including two of the highest achieving schools in the country.

Good luck to everyone who has children sitting exams this month. It's stressful, not least for the parents, but don't worry too much about how your child says they have got on in the exam, they often can't really tell.

Highwater, this is comforting to hear b/c my DD also thought she didn't do well in the Maths section and felt she got a lot of problems wrong. This was surprising for us to hear because she is a strong math student and scored in the 90th percentile in past papers. She thought the Math section was harder and the English was easier than past papers. Now we are all nervous because she didn't feel confident of her performance. Highwater's comment is comforting to hear.

Curious whether any of your DDs solved the last Math problem (#38, I believe). We found many of her friends thought it was very difficult and couldn't solve it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:28 am 

I think the general feel is that NLCS papers were much simpler than past years. My daughter unfortunately did not complete the comprehension. She left out 10 marks which she has never done before. However the composition is of a superb standard as she got carried away writing it. All engrossed. Maths fine too. Guess no chance now!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:21 pm 

Email received now, saying they will email us on Friday 18th January to let us know whether or not our DD has been selected for interview.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 pm 

vnmomma wrote:
Curious whether any of your DDs solved the last Math problem (#38, I believe). We found many of her friends thought it was very difficult and couldn't solve it.

Yes, my DD did. She said she initially had left it out, then gone back when there was more time left.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:38 pm 

does anyone know how many places are there at NLCS for year 7 intake? sorry to hijack the thread slightly.

good luck for the 18th
SH