Interview for North London Collegiate

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MitraniD

Re: Interview for north london coliegate

Post by MitraniD »

@Apu1923 - just received the letter and DD has been called for Interview :)
crazymumxx

Post by crazymumxx »

My dd got an interview letter today from nlcs.She has an interview on the 29th.Does anyone know what type of questions they will ask her? As 20 minutes seems along time!
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Nothing your DD can prepare for! They've already established that your DD is academically capable (or conforms to the types of achievement they are looking for) and now it's just about seeing what makes them tick. She might want to ask questions about the school. Lots of current pupils and staff to do that with. The teachers who do the interviews are not intimidating at all. Nothing to be scared of. REALLY.
exampipe

Post by exampipe »

Congratulations to all the DD who were invited....

My DD, unfortunately, did not receive interviews at NLCS or CLSG.... she was devastated.......

We are in a kind of panic now...

She attended the Heathfield test today and has Francis Holland and St Helens and Habs.....but we are thinking of the worst case scenario (not discussing in front of our DD of course).... in the event she does not gain a place......at any of the schools....

I'm now thinking of second tier independents ...and whether there may be spare places.... I am trying to be optimistic but am thinking we may have pushed our DD too hard...or started the preparation too late....
:(
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Good to hear you've a range of options - and cross your fingers for Habs. A truly excellent school that seems to take a lot more pupils than City and NLCS.....and gets superb results. And Francis Holland feels like a good bet too.

Stay calm and hang on in there - tis a hellish time for so many.

No idea if it is any help, but do you know what your DD's levels at primary are???? Habs said they usually take children with a mix of high 4s and 5s.....talked to Deputy head, a very nice man
Tdada

Post by Tdada »

The pressure on a single day for these young children is too great in my opinion. Not sure what would be fairest system though. DD also said that Maths paper was easier than previous papers. Said that she didn't crack the question but had loads of time to check rest of paper.

"Easy" papers are not always the best instruments for separating abilities nor are papers that are too difficult. DD has been offered an interview but for her applications we have remained unbiassed and resolutely calm so as not to disappointment
BfaceDad

Post by BfaceDad »

Exampipe, we are in the same boat.

I called NLCS many times today and all my calls to Jenny Coyne went to voice mail. I just want to know why they don't reveal scores. I think it is not fair that we don't get any feedback on the scores and how they actually performed.

Several years ago, a family friend whose twin daughters were not even called for interview at City of London dragged the issue with the School and prevailed on them to interview them. She got her wish and they were admitted. Both girls went on to study at Oxford and Cambridge. They both had one of the best Alevels from City.

I just hope Group 1 result will be better. The pressure is too much for the Kids. Well we all want the best for them isn't it? No pain, No gain.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

exampipe wrote:Congratulations to all the DD who were invited....

My DD, unfortunately, did not receive interviews at NLCS or CLSG.... she was devastated.......

We are in a kind of panic now...

She attended the Heathfield test today and has Francis Holland and St Helens and Habs.....but we are thinking of the worst case scenario (not discussing in front of our DD of course).... in the event she does not gain a place......at any of the schools....

I'm now thinking of second tier independents ...and whether there may be spare places.... I am trying to be optimistic but am thinking we may have pushed our DD too hard...or started the preparation too late....
:(

Exampipe - don;t worry there are always places at indies over the coming months - many people take the indies as back up and then take a GS place on March 1st when the allocations come in - this frees up many places

Also every year there are people on the forum who DC;s don't get what they had hoped for on March 1st and start looking at the indie sector then - they often arrange visits / interviews and assessments at that stage and many get places after March.

Probably best to see what happens with the results you are waiting for - meanwhile might be worth having a look at other schools info and having a chat to them - can at least see what the situation is.
curious100

Post by curious100 »

Very happy - my daughter has been invited for an interview on Wednesday 23rd January. We only received the letter this afternoon.

She had left out questions in the comprehension so that was a pleasant surprise!

Suppose this does not mean anything solid but she was happy.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

bfacedad, which gs did she do well at? Perhaps the exam structure for the gs and NLCS are different and so are testing a different set of skills. Is the GS your first choice and the Indy's just backup. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now