All rounder awards - how "talented" do you need to be?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2outof3

All rounder awards - how "talented" do you need to be?

Post by 2outof3 »

We've decided very late to apply for a couple of indies, but the thought of forking out £18 - 20,000 per year is making me feel slightly nauseous.......

Anyway, to slightly soften the blow I'm looking into the chances of getting some sort of all rounder award. I'm pretty certain that DS wouldn't get a straight academic scholarship (keep hearing tales of needing to be genius level :shock:) and he's definitely not going to get a pure sports or music scholarship either. So, basically I'm thinking that as he's reasonably academic, reasonably musical (though not on orchestral instruments) and reasonably good at some sports (though again not particularly team sports) we might be able to lump them all together and go for an all rounder award.

Am I being hopelessly naive here? We also have the misfortune of living in SW London so very, very competitive to get into the schools anyway.......I was specifically thinking of Hampton and Reeds (though I know I've missed the deadline for Hampton, I thought I would fall on their mercy and see if they might let us apply anyway :oops: )

Would be grateful to hear comments generally on all rounder awards and even better if someone has specific experience of those schools? :D
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: All rounder awards - how "talented" do you need to be?

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Always depends on the school but for sport the child would be expected to be in the A team of most team sports or county level in one individual sport. A sports scholarship would expect more. On the whole they want team sportsmen not individual sportsmen for an all rounder.

For music, grade 5 on one instrument and academics would be a minimum standard of the top stream.

Drama/Chess is often counted to.

With all rounder scholarships they look for tangible evidence. Doing a drama audition is not enough, they need to see a performance CV.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Thanks WFG,

It's not looking good then for DS :lol:
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

2outof3 wrote:Thanks WFG,

It's not looking good then for DS :lol:
It's not impossible. What about posting his achievements. Nothing is set in stone.
harrison1999purple

Post by harrison1999purple »

I know this is probably too late, but should you be going to Hampton for the All Rounder this month, I can let you know the general gist of how it goes.
My son was just about to do G5 piano, played in the school football and cricket team was a member of a Sunday league football team and had qualified for the National Biathlon Championships. He played chess at school so he opted for sport/chess/music. He said the sport was ball skills, he had to play one of his G5 pieces and he played a game of chess (think he got lucky as the other player succumbed to scholars mate!). He reckoned there were about 25 kids there but I dont know how many scholarships they give. He got one, but also, we had to turn it down as he got into RGS Guildford which is closer to us.
The junior school he was at didnt suggest we apply so it was very much a personal decision, but worth a go!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now