Latymer Upper

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tw9mum

Re: Latymer Upper

Post by tw9mum »

I wonder too, Jess. In fact, I seem to spend all my time wondering these days - you could tie yourself in knots!

I'd also like to know whether it matters who you see (I think this has been brought up in another current posting). Latymer actually give the teacher's name on the time slip.
maryjane

Post by maryjane »

Hello, I'm new to all this and have found the whole process stressful and confusing! My DD was recently offered a scholarship at a very good school but no interview at Latymer Upper. Interesting that the scholarship was awarded after a morning long interview and assessment getting know the child and then written examinations. She is bright ....but not enough for Latymer! I think her teachers were expecting her to secure an interview but that's the way it goes. Onwards and upwards!
mumofteens

Post by mumofteens »

I assume none of these schools can be sure they are taking the right pupils, especially as the children themselves can change a lot between 11 and 18.

A few years ago DD gained a place at Latymer to the surprise of her school, us and other parents. A really clever girl at her primary school did not get an interview. DD must have been one of their better picks as, despite being turned down by other comparable schools, she is now academically toward the top of the year. A couple of her Latymer peers who were pretty much at the top of the class in Y7, are no longer as dominant.

Latymer has really suited my daughter, in a way that a single sex school might not have done. In particular it has suited her that equal kudos is given to achievement in extra-curricular activities, and that the boys help dilute the competitive pressure that girls can pile on themselves and each other. I am not sure that Latymer suits everyone and assume that is part of what the school is looking for.

Good luck.
WLondon

Post by WLondon »

I agree with mumofteens and, in particular, withloveyouradvice's final comment. Both my DC are now at Latymer but I am very aware that it could easily have gone the other way. Equally, if it had, I'm sure they would have been just as happy elsewhere. It is natural to agonise over why a DC has not been successful but in all honesty performance on exam and interview day is down to a huge number of tiny individual factors, from headaches, momentary distraction and stress down to the individual who is interviewing. In any event, the children around the borders of the selection process, which may well be the majority of candidates, will be subject to some very fine and inevitably random decision taking by the selectors, at any school. As well as my day job I am a graduate interviewer and am part of a process which sees nearly 2,000 applicants whittled down to less than 20. Everyone in the process genuinely does their best to select the best candidates but it is extremely difficult to distinguish individuals based on anything other than spending an unrealistic amount of (non interview) time with each. We all know that amongst the discarded applications there will be some fine candidates who would be perfect for the job. It's exactly the same with schools. It is unfair. But the crucial thing is that the DC must not feel that it is a failure, because it is not. It may be a miserable few days or weeks but it is not failure - most of the children I know from my DC's state primary cohort seem happy wherever they are and those that are not are unhappy for reasons that are nothing to do with their destination school. Hopefully I don't sound too cosmically hippyish (I'm really not) when I say that the school process is all part of a series of events that go some way to determining the eventual person each DC will become. How they cope with what feels like a setback is all part of this and they need our support whatever happens. In a year or so all this will be forgotten, at least by the children!
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Just to add to this, the headboy Ollie was the one looking after us at Latymer.... he was rejected by Latymer at 11, joined in the sixth form and is now Head Boy and aiming to read medicine at Oxford (has fallback place at UCL)......

Just goes to prove how random this process is - and how much kids change after 11!

Thought they did the interviews beautifully by the way - very friendly and informal, and a great balance between chat and a couple of more academic questions.... And I liked the way that every interviewer seemed to use the same format (at least the four kids we've spoken to...)
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Just wondering - sorry another numbers question.....

Interviewed 350... have 120 places... how many of those go to Latymer Juniors - is it 40, with 80 to the rest of us?

Cant remember at all.....

And I imagine they dont overoffer much given they're expecting most people to say yes.......
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

It's 125 from outside plus 40 from the prep. There are around 165 children (seven forms) in year 7. Max pupils per class is 24, min is 22-20...Good luck loveyouradvice. We're also waiting...
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Wow! That's sounding more promising....maybe almost a 1 in 2 chance.....
Ancilla

Post by Ancilla »

Also I have heard from a member of the SMT that they have a high rejection rate - candidates apply from a wide radius and often have an alternative first choice. The pupils I have known at Latymer who started in year 7 seem to be enjoying/enjoyed their time there (I know year 8s, 10s, 12s, 13s & those who left 2 years ago).
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Interesting Ancilla - I wonder what a high rejection rate is in their eyes?

OBviously st pauls et al have few - but highgate said that often only 1 in 2 accept - different school, different factors but for them twas being right next to excellent grammars, and those who didnt want to cross the heath and girls deciding they actually didnt want co-ed....and a handful preferring the more academic City etc....