Strange question - Uniform or "Smart/casual" on a Sat???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loveyouradvice

Strange question - Uniform or "Smart/casual" on a Sat???

Post by loveyouradvice »

Well DD has interview on Saturday.... dress code Smart/casual or Uniform.....

She is a real tomboy and smart casual really isnt her kind of thing so Im inclined to send her in uniform, especially as they seem to take a higher proportion from state school ( which she is) so guess the subliminal reminder not a bad idea.....

Though wearing uniform on a Saturday feels just plain weird!

Any thoughts?
Jess

Re: Strange question - Uniform or "Smart/casual" on a Sat???

Post by Jess »

Well done to your DD. It does feel like a bit of an achievement doesn't it, given the numbers sitting?

DS will be in uniform I think. It's just easier than deciding what 'smart casual' means when applied to a 10 year old!!
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

My daughter is. 6th former at Habs and helped out meeting and greeting on Saturday. She says that most girls wore school uniform and all those she saw who didn't wore jeans and sweatshirts.

The most important thing is that she is comfortable and feels she is projecting herself as she is.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Sallyltb on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Yeah. I have seen a number of kids in uniforms for interviews on Saturday.

DD should wear what she is comfortable with.
tw9mum

Post by tw9mum »

Some DC seem to display more badges than a Chelsea Pensioner so I guess uniform is a good opportunity to show off the metalware if you have it!!
Jess

Post by Jess »

Tw9mum I know what you mean! DS had an interview last Saturday and when the school called to invite him in they very clearly said that it wasn't necessary to wear uniform and that the DC should wear whatever they were comfortable in. The vast majority of DC were dressed pretty casually but there were a handful in uniform, many of whom were sporting so many badges I'm surprised they could stand upright!

I think some schools tell their pupils they must wear uniform, even for a Saturday interview though.
Plus11

Post by Plus11 »

Our school also strongly "encourages" the uniform, also my DS is rather proud of it anyway.
Been dying to ask, why/ what seems to be the eyesore with the badges? Surely children should be encouraged to feel proud of their achievements? I clear his lapel from the badges at the end of each school year but he's allowed to wear them until then....
tw9mum

Post by tw9mum »

Nothing wrong with having achievements: I was somewhat amazed at just how many badges are given by some schools! I heard about one mum who even bought one online last year for her DS to wear. :lol:
Plus11

Post by Plus11 »

:lol:
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Yup - no badges given in DD school so think she would be slightly flabbergast by the sight of weighted down lapels!!!!

Struggle for me is DD thinks smart casual is her usual rather scruff.... Hmm! Interesting conversation to be had.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now