Siblings at different schools, affect their relationship?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tigger2

Re: Siblings at different schools, affect their relationship

Post by tigger2 »

My dd and ds are very close ,they are two years apart and we were very worried when we put dc1 in a prep a couple of years ago. Dc2 knows that fees have to be paid for dc1 to go there but has never been at all bothered about that side of things. I loved having them at the same primary together but always assumed that they would go to different senior schools. Both dc are so different so it will help if they are at different schools- there is no chance of any comparisons being made which happened a lot at primary which drove them both mad. I don't think that being at different schools will affect sibling bonds....We have friends with dc's at the same school and they don't sit anywhere near each other on the bus or have any contact at all during the school day. As one mum said 'the only benefit is being able to hand the uniform down'!!
Just1-2go

Re: Siblings at different schools, affect their relationship

Post by Just1-2go »

My three DCs all went to the same state primary but now all go to different state single sex grammars, we felt it was quite important that they all go to schools that suit them and also that our younger DS wasn't in the shadow of his more academic and sporty brother (particularly as they look very similar). All the schools are in close proximity to each other and the older 2 share some friends outside school although it appears that the different year groups stay mostly separate. It has worked very well for us and doesn't seem to have any effect on how they interact at home. DS1 helps DD (even though she is older!) and DS2 with their homework and they seem to behave like typical teenage siblings, alternating between best buddies and best enemies depending on who "shotguns" the front seat of the car first!