Help me to comprehend please?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Son123

Re: Help me to comprehend please?

Post by Son123 »

the whole process is sometimes unfair and i do not think you should think that your daughter might not have performed well.
she has done extremely well and i know of a few situations like yours and do think its unfair, but it is not anything that she had done wrong , like i said just an unfair system.
i know of a child who sat for 5 independent schools and was called for 3 scholorship interviews, and in the end he only got fee paying for all schools,his mus is very upset knowing her child had the ability.
Kingfisher

Re: Help me to comprehend please?

Post by Kingfisher »

Sometimes the academic scholarships can be as few as 4 or 5. I know of one school with even fewer. To get these, especially at one of the super selectives is extremely difficult; one would need to have come in the top 5 of the 600 or so who applied. DD's school offer no more than 2 at 50% scholarship, 2 more at 25% reduction, and a few with 10% reduction. And that's it.

Regarding why she was rejected - we don't know. These schools are looking for something specific as everyone they interviewed was bright enough to get in. My DD says that in her Year 7 class at super-selective, they are all loud and highly opinionated; in her own words, "We are all slightly mad. We are idiosyncratic and quirky." She thinks this is no co-incidence and that was what the interviewers were looking for. I don't know as I have not met them all.

Well done to your DD for getting the schools that she did. Focus on the positives.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now