Good indie or outstanding local comp?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nonethewiser

Re: Good indie or outstanding local comp?

Post by nonethewiser »

Fairyelephant, well done! :)
I say it again - those eaten biscuits are not in vain :lol:
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Nonethewiser I can honestly say they weren't, plus the stress of the last week means I have lost the biscuit weight and some! There's always a bright side......
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Can anyone summarise the current situation or even the likely outlook for what sort of advantage a state school pupil might be given for the best Unis in order to address the problem of Indy pupils taking a disproportionate number of places?

It seems impossible to me that any political solution is doomed but that doesn't mean it won't be tried! I'm thinking about sending DD to Indy but wonder how much of a handicap might be loaded on her by social engineering attempts down the road.

Do other countries have/worry/act on this problem?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

silverysea wrote: Indy pupils taking a disproportionate number of places
I don't think you really meant that!

Cameron's government is certainly trying to spread social engineering, but the response to this pressure differs a great deal from institution to institution.
The Royal Vet College, for example, is deliberately targeting to increase its state school intake so much that it will be virtually impossible for an indie pupil to get in there in a few years time (if it isn't already!). They must expect everyone to train in Grenada - a great pity, since a high proportion of such students will doubtless eventually emigrate. Liverpool University, on the other hand, which also has a vet school, is targeting an insignificant increase in state school applicants overall so indie vet applications there will be a much better bet.
Cambridge is deliberately targeting an increase in state school entry(hint: enrol in one for sixth form and get a tutor), but Oxford, recognising that indie pupils are not necessarily from economically privileged backgrounds, is not. Rather Oxford is targeting disadvantaged postcodes (hint: buy a house in one and use that address for your application) and schools that haven't sent many pupils to Oxford recently. Bristol isn't targeting state school applicants either (once bitten twice shy?), but is looking to increase local students (postcode bias again) and students from "low acheiving schools". (There seems to be a problem with the "low acheiving schools" data. I think it might include a number of indies since it seems IGCSEs aren't counted, but I'm not sure yet).
There's a lot of information on the Office for Manipulating Access website.

So far as I'm aware Cameron's government is the only one trying to interfere with university entry in this way. It was a consolation prize to the LibDems for voting in favour of tuition fee rises. Most of Europe is happy to take students on academic merit only, often with courses in English and lower fees than here. Ireland (and I think Australia) continue to subsidise private education to the same extent per pupil as state education. The USA takes students purely on merit (although not necessarily academic merit of course). Studying abroad is becoming a very attractive option, which can't be good for the future of this country.
Loopy
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I think I do mean, that indy students take a disproportionate number of places at top Unis. Or it would be 7 %, and it isn't? Or am I mistaken.

My DD1 wants to go to vet school and won't leave her comp which I hate (one nice friend also a bit ostracised), so if she works hard she might get RVC??? wow.

DD2 and the comp- phrases like my dead body spring to mind, but.....
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

The independent sector only educates 7% of school age children overall, but accounts for 15% of all A Level entries, 30% of all A grades and 33% of all AAA grades. No doubt the A* proportions are even higher. Given the RVC currently has an 83% state school entry then state school pupils, who only have 67% of AAA grades and even fewer A*AA grades, are clearly taking a disproportionate number of places.

DD1 can improve her RVC chances even further if you have low incomes etc. She might qualify for their special CCC entry requirement for certain comprehensive school pupils - won't even need to work hard then! Check out their website ref "Veterinary Gateway". Good luck :D .
Loopy
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Good news for some DCs. Maybe not such good news for the national critter population. Are there any med schools with similar approaches?

This sounds totally insane to me!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Durham.
I can put up with it in the vet schools, since it is only the poor animals who suffer. But giving places at medical school to anyone other than the best applicant for the sake of political correctness is beyond the pale :evil: .
Loopy
Tree

Post by Tree »

Check this out maybe relevant to the debate

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... :Position7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose it depends on your definition of "the best applicant" the one with the best results or the best "contextualized data"
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Close all private schools - that would solve the problem!

If politicians had no choice but to use state schools they might pay more attention to proper funding for education.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now