Bursary - home visit

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
slough mum

Bursary - home visit

Post by slough mum »

When applying for a bursary at an Indi school, what does it mean that part of the application they will do a home visit.

What do they ask and what can I expect? Do they question circumstances and finances even though all the info is on the form. Do they try to catch you out?
Kingfisher

Re: Bursary - home visit

Post by Kingfisher »

Expect to have a visit with the bursar if your child is accepted. They will go through everything with a fine toothed comb. They have to.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Apparently the said it was someone I dependant that will visit. It will be half hour visit.
They don't do the full assessment, after visit they pass the report to the school and then they will do the rest and make a decision.

Has anyone experienced this? Do I need to prepare or get any documents ready? What will they ask?
mad?

Post by mad? »

They will be trying to ascertain if your financial/domestic circumstances meet the criteria the school sets out for bursaries (see school website or bursar for details) and assure themselves that there is no alternative source of funding for a place (capital from assets, working full time, inheritance etc). Have they not asked you for certain information already? If so, any documents to back this information up is what you should have with you. If not, then they will be gathering the information at this stage.
mad?
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

They asked me to fill in a form and provide evidence. That's all I have given them. Now they called and said want to do a home visit.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

There's a thread here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 31&t=21407 that might help.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi slough mum,

We have applied for a couple of bursaries and one of these applications needed a home visit to go through the details. Please don't worry about it,just think of it as another step towards getting an answer. The bursars that I have spoken to have been lovely-Good Luck !
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Thanks Tigger

What schools did you apply for and how pond do they rake for the outcome
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Not much to worry about home visit. They go through the financial information forms and try to ascertain its accuracy. They also try to assess the life style and any ability of paying full or part of the fees.

Some times, home visit results in better offer of financial assistance than the one School would have made just on the basis of the application form.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now