without music???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reading Mum

Re: without music???

Post by Reading Mum »

up till now DD has done piano at school at £210 per term (10 lessons of 30 mins each). We are now looking to do this outside of school so it will be interesting to see what the going rate actually is here.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Reading Mum wrote:up till now DD has done piano at school at £210 per term (10 lessons of 30 mins each). We are now looking to do this outside of school so it will be interesting to see what the going rate actually is here.
My DD does keyboard at school with Berkshire maestros and will be able to continue at secondary school with them at £86 a term for 20 mins currently. However as I don't want her missing lessons and she wants to learn for fun rather than exams, I'm looking for a keyboard teacher. £15/half hour seems to be the sort of rate.

RM if you don't already know there is a piano teacher very near you, unfortunately for us she doesn't teach keyboard. If you don't know I'll pm her name.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Thanks Tinkers - if it's the one on my street we have been on her waiting list for 4 years but she has never had a space we could use :(
DD has a trial lesson up closer to you in a couple of weeks. She wants to try a brass instrument so I said she could do that one through school, if it is offered, as long as she keeps up with piano practice as well - a bone of contention at the moment :D
I am also keen that she doesn't miss many lessons in secondary school - this year she has been doing extra curricular piano, singing and speech & drama within school time. Way too much in my opinion but it is yr 6 and they don't seem to be doing many lessons any more anyway, plus she has dropped singing now.
magic-mum

Post by magic-mum »

Singing in a school choir costs nothing and yet can open many doors and provide plenty of great musical opportunities.
Herts Music Service also have many Music School groups which do not cost the earth - my kids go to Mid Herts music school and play in orchestras - costs about £40 per term for an hour and a half on a Saturday morning ( you do have to audition if you are a reasonable grade and want to join the orchestras ) There are lots of groups from beginner strings up to the youth orchestra and during the week various bands, wind groups, ensembles and choirs etc. A great opportunity to play in groups and perform concerts
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

The rates you are all quoting are very good! I thought in London you could not get anything under £20 for 30 min. I am currently paying £30 for 45-50 min lesson...
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

We have 30 min lessons with a student at the Royal college of music for £15 who lives very close to us, we found them on violin page but you really have to look around for a good teacher.One other teacher quoted us at £45 ph but they listed working specifically to prep for music scholarships.