Interviews-What to take? A piece of work proud of???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Roz12

Interviews-What to take? A piece of work proud of???

Post by Roz12 »

Hi all,

'Im a bit anxious about independent school interviews. My daughter goes to a comp and has not done any form of project work and after asking her teacher if she has done any particular piece of work she could take to an interview, the teacher replied no!
Please could other parents with past experience let me know what there children took to their interviews?

Many Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Interviews-What to take? A piece of work proud of???

Post by hermanmunster »

What have the school asked her to take to the interview ?

if there is a problem with a particular school then might be worth having a word with them - they may like her to take something done at home - suspect it is only as a starting point for chatting about a topic.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I am surprised that the indie would have asked her to take a piece of work in the first place. It certainly would not be for assessment purpose - if she has written a story at home or done something different she might want to take that. On the whole interviews at independent schools follow their own format and will have clear ideas of what they want to find out.

If you let us know the school or what the letter said, we might be able to give a bit more advice.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

The school has asked her to take a piece of work she is proud of and able to discuss.

Her own school work it not worthy of taking to an interview.

She has won book week comp before at school but i feel her poem will not compete with other childrens achievements.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I doubt if the indie will be comparing work between kids - it will be more of a starter in the interview.

Also suspect that good indie will recognise that kids from some preps will be helped in what they take with them and will have discussed it before hand. Also they may have experience of other kids going to the interview before.

I would think that the poem would be fine, provided she can chat about her thoughts behind it etc
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

The poem sounds lovely. Don't worry about what other students bring or how they compare; what the school is interested in is how she converses about her work, rather than the quality of her writing. They will have other ways of assessing that.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Thanks everyone!
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Yes bring something she is pleased with that she worked on, that will be a conversation starter.
Bestichka

Post by Bestichka »

DS took a portfolio of drawings he did at home - completely separate from school. This was definitely a subject for conversation, as DS was very shy at the interview and seemed to only relax when asked about the drawings etc etc.

The poem sounds like a great idea to me - she can definitely talk about it and feel confident.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Thanks always so helpful.