Interviews-What to take? A piece of work proud of???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nonethewiser

Re: Interviews-What to take? A piece of work proud of???

Post by nonethewiser »

Roz, don't worry about it. My DD is from a state school too and had to bring some work she is proud of. I tried to edge her to bring in some poetry she wrote which was selected for display but she brought with her a little home made book of tiny drawings she did for Ancient Greek week. It's not meant to be a comparison - just a conversation starter. The more passionate they are about the item, the more they will chat about it so let your child choose something she likes.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

I agree, it's nothing to worry about. It's only to 'break the ice' and gets kids chatting about themselves and their interests.
As long as it's something special to your dc, and they can comfortably say 'why'- it should be fine.

We weren't sure either. When dd2 went for her interview, there were lots of girls with various things: medals, paintings, poems, musical instruments and photos of their pets etc. In the end, dd2 (also state schooled) decided to bring in one of her home-made perfume in her own decorated glass bottle. Cos it was special to her, she was able to chat (in some length) about how she got started, her essential oils, gifts and money she's raised through their sales for various charities.
Scoopy19

Post by Scoopy19 »

Are you sure it is a piece of work she has been asked to bring rather than something that she is proud of? We were asked to bring something that my DD was proud of. As DIY says, some girls brought photos, musical instruments, cuddly toys, certificates etc. My DD took a t-shirt which was given to her when she competed for the borough in netball in the London youth games.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it is a piece of work she has been asked to bring then is there something she did at home that she is proud of? It is really an icebreaker and to see how well your daughter can articulate why she is proud of this particular thing.

Good luck!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Get her to bake some cakes. Sure to win any jaded interviewer over after endless sonnets, tennis trophies and watercolours. :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now