Westminster 11+ from State?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ClappedOutMum

Re: Westminster 11+ from State?

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Actually most entering at 11+ are from state primaries (or so I was told), so not an unreasonable question. I was also told that the maths test would not require anything more than DS will have done in a state primary by y6. So I'd say no algebra etc is in that.

Level 6 goes beyond that of course. Having said that I'd guess that a child bright enough to get into WUS at 11+ is likely bright enough to get to Level 6 in primary, but need to remember that not all state primaries will assess at that level or privide the extension work-but that doesn't mean that a child I such a school wouldn't be bright enough to get in.
fifilarue

Post by fifilarue »

Kingfisher wrote:Of course most at Westminster will never have had any work assessed at an NC Level. Most independent schools do not use them and have no idea how they operate. Most Dc who get into these sorts of schools have a breadth of knowledge that is not covered in the state primaries.

The CE at 13+ is for those coming from preps and they will certainly expected to have a huge breafth of knowledge. The 11+ is for state pupils which is main area of interest of this thread. Do you have any experience of the WUS entry process or requirements that you could share?
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Fifilarue, i am not trying to be unhelpful. Have you searched 'Westminster School?' Several Forum posters have had success at this school in the past, I noticed.

From the school's site, it states that students for entry at 11+ will be tested in English, Maths and Reasoning. I am thus confused because you suggest he will be tested in other subjects. Well, he will, but not until he sits the 13+ after holding a conditional place for 2 years.

The information provided on the school site appears very clear and the ISEB site actually discusses the NC Levels and the expectation for each. You might need to look at this more closely, perhaps with someone who has tutored for this before or who has a degree of familiarity with 'NC speak.' There are sample questions and it all looks very helpful to me. I know students who are at the school as well, but I would say your child should be higher than the Level 6 that is now tested in some state primaries. General IQ should be high. The interview is where he will be assessed in more depth and he will need to think on his feet. Your DC should be exceptional, not just bright.

'While a boy is in Year 6 (the academic year of his 11th birthday)

He takes the Independent Schools Examinations Board (ISEB) Common Pre-Tests at his prep school. These are computer tests in English, Mathematics and Reasoning. For more information please go to http://www.iseb.co.uk/pretests.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . If your son attends a school that does not administer the ISEB Common Pre-Tests please contact us so that alternative arrangements can be made.
Westminster School requests a reference from the boy's current head teacher.
Boys who have performed strongly in the tests and who have received a satisfactory report are invited to Westminster for an interview. Most boys are invited during the Lent Term (January – March). The interview includes short tests in English and Mathematics.'

I know you want to avoid ringing the school, but I do not think you can get round this. I hope you find my response slightly more helpful than previously. I did not mean to be facetious.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Kingfisher wrote:Fifilarue, i am not trying to be unhelpful.
'While a boy is in Year 6 (the academic year of his 11th birthday)

He takes the Independent Schools Examinations Board (ISEB) Common Pre-Tests at his prep school. These are computer tests in English, Mathematics and Reasoning. For more information please go to http://www.iseb.co.uk/pretests.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . If your son attends a school that does not administer the ISEB Common Pre-Tests please contact us so that alternative arrangements can be made.
Westminster School requests a reference from the boy's current head teacher.
Boys who have performed strongly in the tests and who have received a satisfactory report are invited to Westminster for an interview. Most boys are invited during the Lent Term (January – March). The interview includes short tests in English and Mathematics.'
I know you are trying to be helpful, but you keep going off topic. You are quoting the procedure for 13+ which states that they take pre-tests at prep school. Those that are entering at 11+ from state, the topic of this thread , will not be doing that. The admissions policy makes this abundantly clear:

"(e) Boys who enter Westminster Under School at the 11+ stage are deemed to have qualified for a conditional place at Westminster School without further test or interview."
fifilarue

Post by fifilarue »

I think the confusing thing is that there are so many different requirements, but when I went back (again!) to look at the 11+ entry I found a very clear section that I previously missed (possibly because I was looking at the entry to the Great School via their 11+ section which is a bit misleading as this age goes to WUS):

"All candidates for the 11+ entrance tests will sit papers in Mathematics, English and Reasoning.

Mathematics
Candidates for the 11+ Mathematics examination should have completed the programme of study contained within the National Curriculum at Key Stage Two and in the appropriate sections of the National Numeracy Strategy. We would expect 11+ candidates to be able to achieve level 5 in their Key Stage Two SATs.

English
The 11+ English paper consists of a comprehension and an essay.

Reasoning
The Reasoning test at all levels is a mixture of elements – verbal reasoning, shapes, sequences of numbers and codes. There are many reasoning books available from good book shops"

So the NC Level 5 requirement is promising :)
fifilarue

Post by fifilarue »

Sorry - my last post was entirely garbled! :oops:

The confusing thing for me (and others too it seems!) has been that the two entry routes both involve testing at 11+. Most people posting on this forum know about the 11+/13+ CE route, but it seems that the state 11+ entry route is discussed far less (which is why this forum's archive is not terribly informative).

I think I have the hang of the exam contents and likely achievement levels (at last!) - so does anyone have any information on the state 11+ exam/interview process? ie is everything done in one day? are the "interviews" individual and/or group? etc etc. Thanks in advance.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

fifilarue wrote:Sorry - my last post was entirely garbled! :oops:

The confusing thing for me (and others too it seems!) has been that the two entry routes both involve testing at 11+. Most people posting on this forum know about the 11+/13+ CE route, but it seems that the state 11+ entry route is discussed far less (which is why this forum's archive is not terribly informative).
The two routes both involve testing during year 6 (ie when a DS is or is about to turn 11), but only for entry at year 7 (to the under school) is the test called the "11+" - the other test for entry at year 9 into (the great school) the test is called the "pre-test". Two different routes. Easy to get confused I admit when you are only used to state education (like me!).
fifilarue wrote:I think I have the hang of the exam contents and likely achievement levels (at last!) - so does anyone have any information on the state 11+ exam/interview process? ie is everything done in one day? are the "interviews" individual and/or group? etc etc. Thanks in advance.
Yes, I too would like an answer to your questions! WUS doesn't publish past papers on website.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Fifilarue - I am glad you found the section that I was looking at - it does look more promising, doesn't it?

Please ring the school and ask for clarification - I can't understand why you have not done this.
Last edited by Kingfisher on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

good luck OP
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I'd like to echo that: Clappedoutmum and fifilarue - I wish your boys the best with their entrance exams.

It was not my intention to mislead you - I am sorry if I have done that. Let us know what the school has to say. All the best.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now