Colfe's (SE London) sixth form

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2childmum

Re: Colfe's (SE London) sixth form

Post by 2childmum »

Thanks for all you replies. Unfortunately the coach to Dulwich College doesn't go from anywhere near here, so its really not an option. St Olaves and Newstead don't do the same Maths syllabus as him plus that's not a fantastic journey either. Dartford girls ditto, Dartford boys do IB.

I'm waiting to see the latest A level results in more detail - I only have Eltham College at present. We need to look at the specific subjects my son wants to take - basically Maths, Further Maths and Physics plus one or two others, probably sciences too. He is keen on Cambridge because he reads a lot of physics books and has noticed that a lot of the areas he is interested in have been developed at Cambridge. He is also rather keen on tradition and was rather taken with some of the older colleges when we visited the city. At the end of the day he may decide that another university offers a course he is more interested in but as he has expressed an interest in Cambridge we're looking around at sixth form options to see which may give him the best chance.

I know that his current school didn't have anybody go to Oxbridge last year . The brief outline of A level results on the website on Thursday didn't mention anybody, so it's good to hear that you know of someone. The main reason he wants to move is because he hasn't been impressed with the science teaching so far, especially with Physics this year, and has spent most of the last 4 years bored stiff in the lessons. I'm amazed he has maintained his interest in the subject.

This choosing schools thing seems neverending. My daughter is starting secondary in September so we did the rounds last year. Sixth forms for my son this year, then uni (although that's my son's choice I bet I know who will be driving him all over the place!) We will just get him settled and then it will be sixth form for my daughter!

Any more views on applying for Colfe's if we decide to would be welcome.
lefol

Post by lefol »

It is a good idea to keep your options open and as such do apply for Colfes and the local indies.

Teachers vary, even at indies and it is worth seeing what plans the current school has for A'levels before moving him. Also, do compare the results closely for all schools, distance and what your ds prefers before reaching a decision.

Not sure if Bromley High have a mixed sixth form, it might be worth exploring .
emmsie

Post by emmsie »

AFAIK Cambridge offer Natural Sciences rather than F300 Physics so if it is Physics he is keen on there are probably better options
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Hi. We have still to make a decision about Colfe's and I think we will put off sending in the application form until after the open evening. My ds and I visited for a general open evening last year and spoke to the head of the sixth form but we haven't done a specific sixth form one and my husband hasn't visited either. Ds's first choice is Eltham College and he has put in quite a bit of work over the summer towards entrance exams there. If he in unsuccessful we may consider trying for a place at St Olave's even though it's a different A level maths exam board, and we have a more local grammar to look around too, so more than one option. Not all the schools have published A level results by subject yet so we can't compare everywhere yet anyway.

Ds know it's natural science at Cambridge. He does enjoy science generally but it's physics that excites him. I found him the other day looking at Physics at Oxford so he is thinking about just physics.