Colfe's (SE London) sixth form

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2childmum

Colfe's (SE London) sixth form

Post by 2childmum »

My son would like to apply to Colfe's sixth form. The registration form doesn't ask for any details of things like GCSEs already passed, music exams, extra-curricular activities etc. Should we include a letter or CV type document including these? It seems a shame not to include information which might help get him a place!

I've been told by the head of sixth form that he needs to take a general paper which is like ' an 11+ for 16 year olds'. I couldn't get any more information than that, and wondered if anyone on here can throw any more light on this.

My son has been working over the holidays at other papers he needs for Colfe's and also Eltham College, but we are a bit stuck on what to prepare for this paper. He is very self motivated, and keen to try for Cambridge hence the desire to move sixth form (his current school got nobody into Oxbridge last year, and he has been less than impressed by the science teaching he has received).

Does anyone have any useful info? Many thanks
lefol

Re: Colfe's (SE London) sixth form

Post by lefol »

It might be a good idea to post a copy of this question under the sixth form forum and also under bexley and Bromley and you may get a few responses . Personally , I would say include anything you feel may be useful to his application . I am not quite sure what colfe is like for sixth form , but do check past results , the A'level results also come our in a few days if you want to compare recent data as well.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Hi. We're looking at results and Colfe's do better than his current school. He is really aiming at Eltham College but we were told they only took 6 boys into the sixth form last year (being an all boys school with a mixed sixth form I suppose they are aiming for a more balanced sixth form and so take mainly girls). There is also one state school we are going to look at. We are a bit limited as he will already have AS maths and several schools we have contacted either do not do the same exam board or seem unable to juggle things around in order to accommodate him. He would have more options if he were a girl!

Should I write a covering letter with the Colfe's application detailing extra information? And should the application actually be from us or from him?

I do feel we are rather in the dark here!
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

Hi, have you and your son considered Dulwich College - all male and very, very good, from what I hear.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Dulwich College is too far away - it looks doable on paper but knowing the traffic between here and there it is well over an hours journey each way. He actually wants a mixed sixth form having been to an all boys school, or we may have considered City. There are more girl options because a couple of girls' schools near here don't take boys in the sixth whereas all the boys' schools seem to take girls!
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

On the other hand, Dulwich seems to have a very good record getting its people into Oxbridge and you mentioned that your son is keen to try for Cambridge.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Not much help if he can't get there though. I think it's 3 buses along the south circular which is nose to tail traffic the whole way. I think the time could be better spent studying.

Looking at initial results for schools he can get to only Eltham college and one of the schools which won't take him unless he redoes his maths AS seem to have had any Oxbridge success.
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

Don't know where in SE London you are and certainly don't want to push you into something you and he don't want, so just one more comment: the Dulwich schools do run a bus service network across South London, so he would not necessarily have to rely on public transport. The school website probably has information; if not, the school office certainly would.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

2childmum - it's not unknown for boys from your son's current school to get to Oxbridge. I can think of one who is going to Oxford to do science in Sept/Oct.
lefol

Post by lefol »

If you are keen on dulwich , they offer coach travel across the south east, you can also have a look at st Dunstans in Catford . I am not totally swayed by the number of students going to Oxford from a particular school, it depends on what they are going to Oxford to read . For instance , a school may send twenty students to read anthropology at Oxford , surely that's not a bench mark for success .

Some students may choose to go to other Russell group universities to read other more commercial and job ready subjects. St Olaves seems to have good A'level grades , I think there is a lot to choose from for sixth form around bexley and Bromley , look through the league tables carefully and the course your son intends to study and which schools produce the best results in those subjects he needs to gain entry into the university of his choice .