Park school for Girls Ilford

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LittleMissMama

Park school for Girls Ilford

Post by LittleMissMama »

Need some help please :?

Does anyone know or has prepped their daughter for the entrance exam for Park school?

Is there any tips that would allow me to begin working with my daughter? I am at a loss and do not wish to begin teaching and discover that the subjects focused on are incorrect........

If anyone can either private message me or post on here, ASAP,I would greatly appreciate this!!!!! :|

A Confused Mama :shock: :(
LittleMissMama

Re: Park school for Girls Ilford

Post by LittleMissMama »

Ok......

So either no one knows about this school or doesn't want to share any information........ :|

:cry:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Found this on their website for secondary admissions:

Entrance examinations for the whole school consist of a Maths and English test. We follow National Curriculum standards in both English and Maths. The English Examination will always include comprehension.

Until someone with direct experience or in the know offers advice, I would ensure that she is reading and that her literacy and numeracy skills are up to scratch. Various people have suggested First Aid in English, Schofield and Sims, etc. but I think you would have to do a search to find out what else is available. I am afraid that my suggestions might not be accurate. You could look at the websites of other private schools and download their practice papers too.

How old is your daughter? Right now posters are worrying about their DC's scores so you might not get a response for a while. Good luck :) .
LittleMissMama

Post by LittleMissMama »

Thank you for the reply!

My dd just got her 11+ results and JUST missed the cut off score.....As you can imagine there is now the feeling of panic as a lot of hope was being placed into getting into grammar.
As a lot of other children, coming top in group sessions came to no avail once in that exam room :(
The fact a few questions in a blind panic, were left out, sadly tipped the balance.

For that reason I am looking into various other options that had been considered before. A lot of the private school fees are too high. Fair enough if only one child is attending, but we have three quite close in age! :o

Thank you for the advice. I just feel so pressured and almost lost in this maze we find ourselves in at the minute!!!!

A forlorn Mama :|
Tixylixy

Post by Tixylixy »

Hi Mama

I am very sorry about your predicament and for your Dd. Is she the eldest? If so, why not put her in for the indies and see how she gets on. She may perform well enough for a full/ partial scholarship and depending upon your personal circumstances, you could apply for and may be entitled to receive a bursary.

If you have younger children, many indies offer younger siblings fee reductions. Assuming your Dd is the eldest, concentrate on her for now and consider the younger ones at the appropriate time. They my be successful in getting into a grammar.
LittleMissMama

Post by LittleMissMama »

Great advice Tixylixy.

I think it is imperative that I focus on the eldest getting into a good school. The disappointing thing is that there aren't even any good local state schools. All the best ones seem to be in Redbridge and we are on the border in Waltham Forest.

It's so disheartening wading through this minefield in making a decision which is just so fundamental to my child's future :(

Appreciate this site in allowing me to vent off and rant!

A worried Mama :?
shasha

Post by shasha »

Hi a couple years ago my daughter took the exam at Park school for girls and passed. She did not do the 11 plus because I was not aware it exists. She had no preparation whatsoever but was level 5 in year 6 so I guess test are in line with national curriculum . I believe if your daughter did some 11 plus prep she is likely to pass. In the end my daughter went to a local comp because my DH left work to study and fees was going to become a problem. She was allocated a school in august where there was space(school that Noone really wanted). She is doing very well there and predicted a*/a in most of her subjects including triple science. So don't despair if she doesn't make it to selective school its not the end of world. Children thrive in local comps as well. Hoping to join grammar at 6th form
LittleMissMama

Post by LittleMissMama »

Thank you for the reassurance.

What year is your daughter in now? It's refreshing to hear such positivity.

My greatest concern is the fact that obviously if the quality of the schools local to me were of a good standard then I wouldn't be as greatly concerned.
As mentioned all the 'better' schools are in the neighbouring borough.....

It's nice to be able to hear from fellow parents who have been through/are going through this as it helps to realise that I am not alone! :roll:

Of course, even though I think that ultimately it is down to the child to be dedicated and it is their personal drive which will enable them to succeed, it is still hard to allow that train of thought to overtake!

Sasha, I hope that your daughter continues to do well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now