John Lyons school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
John terry

John Lyons school

Post by John terry »

Hi
We are considering applying to John Lyons School with a view to get subsidised through a bursary. Does anyone have any info from the past what the sliding scale looks like. i.e the relationship of income/assets to %awarded? Any past applicants, pls come forward.

Also any advise on the entrance test would be much appreciated. And an honest insiders view of the school would help!

Thanks
optomsun

Re: John Lyons school

Post by optomsun »

Hi John
I presume you mean The John Lyon School in Harrow.
My son is in the Lower 6th at The John Lyon, having been there since Year 7 .
The entrance exam included an online CEM type assessment and a written English essay ,followed by an interview ; although this may have changed over the years.
My son has thrived there walking away with amazing results at GCSE If your son is motivated he will find all the encouragement he needs . The boys come from a wide social mix and I know that some bursaries are very generous .I have no idea of the sliding scale but I do know that a combination of a scholarship and a bursary mean next to no fees.
It is rather undersold as a school but has everything you woukd expect of an independent school; great sports,music and enrichmnent activites ( DOE and CCF) .
Good Luck :)