state school then inde at 13+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yummiemummie

Re: state school then inde at 13+

Post by Yummiemummie »

Depends which inde you are aiming for. Its certainly tough to get a space at 13, competing with all the prep school boys. Friends son tried moving at 13 plus from RGS HW where he was doing well to top selective and was unsuccessful. Competition was fierce and extracurricular achievement necessary to stand out. Another child tried joining a local fairly academic boys school and was told he would have to go back a year! I would do an early pretest as others have mentioned and take it from there. You could always save the two years cash at sixth form level? There is so much choice for sixth form. Anyway good luck with it.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

ClappedOutMum wrote:grammars are tax-payer funded "independents"
Really?? I must have missed something. Perhaps someone can enlighten me:

- what is the average class size in Grammar schools these days?
- what is the per capita spend on music and the arts? How often is a total of over 50 pupil concerts per annum achieved?
- on how many days has the average Grammar school pupil had their education disrupted by strike action over the last five years?
- what is the social status of fellow Grammar school pupils? And their teachers?
- do Grammar schools ensure their pupils mix on a daily basis with children of more ordinary academic ability?
- what proportion of (boys) Grammar schools have a CCF contingent?
- are Grammar schools no longer limited by the National Curriculum?
- How many Grammar schools timetable Latin? Ancient Greek?
- is the Grammar school chaplain (or, if a faith school, chaplains) available 24/7 to discuss religion/philosophy/life with pupils of all faiths or none?
- do Grammar schools no longer insist on General Studies "A"-Level?
- are Grammar schools typically housed in inspiring, listed buildings?

just wondering...
Loopy
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

I must admit I thinking of leaving the forum because every time someone says they are aiming for indes various posters and a particular moderator start down the same old path, 'Why choose inde when you can go to GS?' The OP said she wanted inde and asked for advice, so why bring up the same old thing?
We chose inde over GS please respect that and others who wish to.
One_Shot

Post by One_Shot »

Loopyloulou wrote:

- what is the per capita spend on music and the arts? How often is a total of over 50 pupil concerts per annum achieved?
- on how many days has the average Grammar school pupil had their education disrupted by strike action over the last five years?
- what is the social status of fellow Grammar school pupils? And their teachers?
- do Grammar schools ensure their pupils mix on a daily basis with children of more ordinary academic ability?
- is the Grammar school chaplain (or, if a faith school, chaplains) available 24/7 to discuss religion/philosophy/life with pupils of all faiths or none?

just wondering...
worth £100K? just wondering.
Loopyloulou wrote: Imogen is charming, intelligent and mature, despite having spent two years at a comprehensive; but she has found the transition at thirteen to be difficult. She mentioned two things in particular:
:shock:
JSN

Post by JSN »

just wondering, when is the most cost effective time to invest in private education if funds are limited ?
1) at prep level
2) senoir school upto GCSE
3) sixth form
4) state school with external tutoring at any of the levels above
You only have one choice.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

JSN I would choose option 2 no question.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I think I'd agree.
Loopy
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yummiemummie wrote:I must admit I thinking of leaving the forum because every time someone says they are aiming for indes various posters and a particular moderator start down the same old path, 'Why choose inde when you can go to GS?' The OP said she wanted inde and asked for advice, so why bring up the same old thing?
We chose inde over GS please respect that and others who wish to.
Yummiemummie, I have significant experience of both sectors of education and am aware that the standards and styles in each vary considerably around the country - all that is asked is that people have thought through their reasons as to why they choose one over the other.
Garnett

Post by Garnett »

One_Shot wrote:
Loopyloulou wrote:

just wondering...
worth £100K? just wondering.
Loopyloulou wrote: Imogen is charming, intelligent and mature, despite having spent two years at a comprehensive; but she has found the transition at thirteen to be difficult. She mentioned two things in particular:
:shock:
Ditto.
Garnett

Post by Garnett »

JSN wrote:just wondering, when is the most cost effective time to invest in private education if funds are limited ?
1) at prep level
2) senoir school upto GCSE
3) sixth form
4) state school with external tutoring at any of the levels above
You only have one choice.
Of course, it all depends on how good the schools are in your area. Probably senior school up to to GSE if no grammar schools.