Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:44 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Wimbledon High
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:04 am
Posts: 82
I was wondering if anybody has a view on the difficulty of the Wimbledon High test and how difficult/easy it is to get in.

To put it into context, DD2 has taken TGS, Wallington and Nonsuch tests and is waiting on the result of TGS stage 1, passed Wallington (no score) and passed Nonsuch but with a score too low to ever get a place. The Nonsuch score has sent me into a bit of a panic as her VR score was so low and bore no resemblance to the scores she was regularly achieving whilst practicing.

What has this got to do with WHS? Well with DD1 (who is at TGS) we did 3 independent exams and felt it was a bit of an overkill, especially with the grammar school tests and the local authority tests so we decided that with DD2 we would limit the number of indie schools. Originally we were planning WHS, LEH and Surbiton but quickly dropped the idea of LEH. Then, buoyed by the early success in the Wallington test (thought to be her worst with Nonsuch her best) we decided to stick with only WHS and dropped Surbiton. However, the results today have really made me quesiton whether DD2 will even get into WHS and should we also be trying Surbiton as another back up!

So, this is a bit long winded but how difficult in reality is it to pass the WHS test and get a place given that it is VR/NVR only? DD2, according to her primary school, was a 5b in English at the end of year 5 and has recently achieved level 5a in maths in a single test.

I may be over-reacting given that technically she has been deemed of selective ability for both the results she has but I need to have a back up plan which in reality will probably end up the main plan!

We all really like WHS and we would be delighted if DD2 went there but realistically, do we have a chance? How many external girls are admitted at 11+? Is there a fixed number or is it flexible depending on who wants to move up from the lower school?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Scoopy19


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon High
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:19 pm
Posts: 55
Hi there

I think your DD will be absolutely fine. My own DD sat both Wallington & Nonsuch & did not pass either ( to be honest we didn't expect her to do so!) but was wait listed for Putney High & got straight offers from WHS & Jags. We agonised over the choice as we liked both but in the end we picked Jags. She is extremely happy there, has settled in really well & is making great progress. She came from a state primary & achieved Level 5A in Maths & Reading & a 5B in Writing.

Hope this reassures you. Of course it's all about the competition but at WHS ( unless it's changed) they interview before the test. If your DD is sparky & has plenty to say for herself she will make a good impression.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon High
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 59
Location: kingston upon thames
Hi there Scoopy. First of all congratulations on your daughter's results. Sometimes in the storm of "mu daughter scored 280 is that enough to get in?" posts we can forget how well they have done.

On WHS I would say certainly give it a go. You may have to register soon but they certainly take the majority of girls at 11+ (I was one of them! ). There is likley to be strong overlap with grammar exams but a bit less formulaic so this can play better for those who can think independently. Also indies will take other factors into account at interview although it's been a while since dd1 tried so best to check this.

Surbiton is a good banker which should help with self esteem and your nerves! At the end of the day they only need one school so you may as well try.

Lastly, do take your estimation of your dds score with a pinch of salt. The Nonsuch catchment and ooc scores last year were v. low and I had written it off when the initial result came through.

Good luck anyway and feel free to pm if you want any further info.

sm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon High
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:04 am
Posts: 82
Thanks estelle and suppermummy for your very sensible and useful comment. They are really helpful.

I feel a tiny bit more relaxed about WHS. She had her interview Wednesday and she spoke up for herself, which is very unlike her. She is not a particularly confident child at times and although fairly bright she does not like academic work particularly so we think WHS may suit her a bit better than a selective/superselective.

Estelle - I loved JAGS and Putney High. DD1 got offers from both and we gave her the choice and she picked TGS (which she loves) but quite a large part of me secretly hoped she go for JAGS. We're moving to be closed to TGS hence why no JAGS or Putney this time but if we weren't, JAGS would be our number 1 choice.

Supermummy - thanks for your comments about Surbiton, I think we'll go for it. I appreciate your comments about scores but unfortunatley she only just scraped the passmark and we are OOC. She may just have squaked in if we were in catchment.

Thanks again both of you.

Scoopy19


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon High
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:45 pm
Posts: 118
estelle wrote:
Hi there

I think your DD will be absolutely fine. My own DD sat both Wallington & Nonsuch & did not pass either ( to be honest we didn't expect her to do so!) but was wait listed for Putney High & got straight offers from WHS & Jags. We agonised over the choice as we liked both but in the end we picked Jags. She is extremely happy there, has settled in really well & is making great progress. She came from a state primary & achieved Level 5A in Maths & Reading & a 5B in Writing.

Hope this reassures you. Of course it's all about the competition but at WHS ( unless it's changed) they interview before the test. If your DD is sparky & has plenty to say for herself she will make a good impression.


Hi Estelle,

I kind of lost hope till I read your thread. My DD didn't get into Wallington or nonsuch we are also trying for JAGS and Wimbledon High after seeing her scores I wasn't feeling very hopeful about entering her for the Indies. My DD usually scores high in VR and surprised at her score for Nonsuch? Does Wimbledon High base their NVR/VR on GL packs or Bond books. Which exam structure do they follow as we have alot of work to do.

Any tips on getting into Indies most welcome.

Thanks

Roz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon High
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:45 pm
Posts: 118
Scoopy19 wrote:
Thanks estelle and suppermummy for your very sensible and useful comment. They are really helpful.

I feel a tiny bit more relaxed about WHS. She had her interview Wednesday and she spoke up for herself, which is very unlike her. She is not a particularly confident child at times and although fairly bright she does not like academic work particularly so we think WHS may suit her a bit better than a selective/superselective.

Estelle - I loved JAGS and Putney High. DD1 got offers from both and we gave her the choice and she picked TGS (which she loves) but quite a large part of me secretly hoped she go for JAGS. We're moving to be closed to TGS hence why no JAGS or Putney this time but if we weren't, JAGS would be our number 1 choice.

Supermummy - thanks for your comments about Surbiton, I think we'll go for it. I appreciate your comments about scores but unfortunatley she only just scraped the passmark and we are OOC. She may just have squaked in if we were in catchment.

Thanks again both of you.

Scoopy19


Hello Scoopy19,

I'm so pleased for your daughter and I am also trying for Wimbledon High. My daughter didn't get into Wallington or Nonsuch and worried about her taking Wimbledon high.

I've heard the Wimbledon High interview is in pairs, do they get a chance to talk about their hobbies or is it all based on answering questions about a comprehension?

Any tips welcome.

Thanks

Roz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon High
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:04 am
Posts: 82
Roz12 wrote:
Scoopy19 wrote:
Thanks estelle and suppermummy for your very sensible and useful comment. They are really helpful.

I feel a tiny bit more relaxed about WHS. She had her interview Wednesday and she spoke up for herself, which is very unlike her. She is not a particularly confident child at times and although fairly bright she does not like academic work particularly so we think WHS may suit her a bit better than a selective/superselective.

Estelle - I loved JAGS and Putney High. DD1 got offers from both and we gave her the choice and she picked TGS (which she loves) but quite a large part of me secretly hoped she go for JAGS. We're moving to be closed to TGS hence why no JAGS or Putney this time but if we weren't, JAGS would be our number 1 choice.

Supermummy - thanks for your comments about Surbiton, I think we'll go for it. I appreciate your comments about scores but unfortunatley she only just scraped the passmark and we are OOC. She may just have squaked in if we were in catchment.

Thanks again both of you.

Scoopy19


Hello Scoopy19,

I'm so pleased for your daughter and I am also trying for Wimbledon High. My daughter didn't get into Wallington or Nonsuch and worried about her taking Wimbledon high.

I've heard the Wimbledon High interview is in pairs, do they get a chance to talk about their hobbies or is it all based on answering questions about a comprehension?

Any tips welcome.

Thanks

Roz



Hello Roz

The interview is very low key and it is in pairs and a reading comprehension/ They are also asked about their hobbies but not much else I think. Talking to my DD1 who did different indie schools, it seemed the most laid back interview. DD2 isn't the most confident or chatty but it sounds like she felt at ease in the interview and spoke up.

Scoopy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon High
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:43 pm
Posts: 18
Does anyone know if wimbledon high school base their NVR and VR exam on GL assessment? Or are we better off practising CGP and Bond?

Many thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon High
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 pm
Posts: 5423
Location: RBK
One of my relative's DD took the test 2 years ago and her preparation was based mainly on Bond & GL, but had also done IPS and Susan Daughtry (Bright Spark series) for VR.

Interview was in group of 2 and was pretty informal and relaxed. Children were quite at ease. She got the offer and nominal scholarship, but choose her local grammar.

She said about 500 girls took the test that year, many as cover in case grammar place was not offered. In her current year group, about 5-6 girls transferred from WHS to her grammar school.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon High
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:43 pm
Posts: 18
Many thanks for your reply tiffinboys


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016