RGS Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
eal238

RGS Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Post by eal238 »

I was wondering if anybody had any words of wisdom or advice regarding RGS in Newcastle, in particular, if anybody has any insight or experience regarding the bursary scheme, that would be fantastic.

We recently took our 10 year old son to an open day at RGS on Saturday and he loved it - he already has two friends from his current school - one already attending as of Year 5 and one who will be attending in year 7 - which is the year we are hoping to have him start.

I'd never really considered private/independent school for a variety of reasons - financial reasons mainly - but after learning of our sons predicted SAT results (Level 6's - he's sitting the higher paper for both - 1 of 2 in maths, 1 of 11 in English) it's something we decided to look into further. Because of the bursary scheme, we've decided to go for it - the opportunities are incomparable to state schools. We were also struck with how enthusiastic all of the present pupils were about the school - I cannot remember the last time I saw that..

We're obviously trying to prepare our son so that he is realistic in his expectations - so few places (75) and so many applications (1000's) - but without disheartening him or making him feel like there's little point (he tends to err on the pessimistic/cynical side, like me!)..

I plan to liaise with his current school and see if there's any advice they can offer us or him in terms of preparation, but is there any advice anybody has for myself or my son?

Above all else, it's not a huge deal to us, as his parents, if he doesn't get in. Children can do equally as well in state schools, and it's clear he's academically able. After visiting our local state school and RGS, the difference between the schools with regard to the culture of learning and academic prowess are miles apart and I can't help but feel we have to grab this one by the horns - it could be life changing for him.

Many thanks,
kenyancowgirl

Re: RGS Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Welcome! I don't know the school but have a lot of experience with independents as my dh works in one and we did consider several for my eldest, so looked at the financial support available. Generally speaking, scholarships are award for excellence, either in academia or sport/music etc - although some of these are only granted to older children. Scholarships are, I believe, regulated by the charities commission (or something like that) so tend to be limited to 10-15% of school fees (and therefore, don't often cover trips/uniform etc). Bursaries are usually means tested every year and granted on a sliding scale for those below a certain level (with the lower your income, the higher the bursary) and can, therefore, pay 100% of fees and give access to additional funding for trips etc. Locally, if a child does very well in the entrance exam, they may get offered a scholarship and a bursary on top, if the parental income warrants it. There is obviously a pot of money available in a school for bursaries and once it has been used up for that year, that is it. It can be a bit wearing having to complete the means testing forms each year but that is the way they keep check that only the people in genuine need, get supported. I would suggest that you have a word with the Bursar at the school, in confidence, as they will be able to give you an indication of whether they would consider you for a bursary and, if so, how much, as well as looking at the admission protocol for entrance tests, whether there is additional tests for scholarships and son on.
eal238

Post by eal238 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Welcome! I don't know the school but have a lot of experience with independents as my dh works in one and we did consider several for my eldest, so looked at the financial support available. Generally speaking, scholarships are award for excellence, either in academia or sport/music etc - although some of these are only granted to older children. Scholarships are, I believe, regulated by the charities commission (or something like that) so tend to be limited to 10-15% of school fees (and therefore, don't often cover trips/uniform etc). Bursaries are usually means tested every year and granted on a sliding scale for those below a certain level (with the lower your income, the higher the bursary) and can, therefore, pay 100% of fees and give access to additional funding for trips etc. Locally, if a child does very well in the entrance exam, they may get offered a scholarship and a bursary on top, if the parental income warrants it. There is obviously a pot of money available in a school for bursaries and once it has been used up for that year, that is it. It can be a bit wearing having to complete the means testing forms each year but that is the way they keep check that only the people in genuine need, get supported. I would suggest that you have a word with the Bursar at the school, in confidence, as they will be able to give you an indication of whether they would consider you for a bursary and, if so, how much, as well as looking at the admission protocol for entrance tests, whether there is additional tests for scholarships and son on.
Hello, thanks very much for this - reading through the bursary literature from the school in question, I believe we would be eligible based on income (I am a lone parent to three children, currently studying with the Open Uni!)...

My son is performing and on course to achieve Level 6 in his SATs and is also an avid musician - guitar & piano, as well as having participated in his school radio and the school choir for the past 3 years. On top of this, he actively participates in sports clubs - though not outside of the school...

I've got my fingers crossed, but not the end of the world if it's a no.. The school can afford to afford to pick and choose the absolute best - hopefully they see the potential in him and offer him a place as well as a bursary, but I'm sure he'll do well regardless of which school he goes to - though don't we all want the best eh?

I've managed to rope in my old high school teacher who's going to give him a mock interview - to see how talks about himself and his interests, so we can identify any areas for improvement.. I want him to be himself, but I also want him to feel confident and prepared as well - although I'm sure they account for nerves and the fact not many 10/11 year olds will have found themselves in a situation such as this very often, if at all!

Thanks for your response :]
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Definitely prepare for the interview, but don't coach! Your son needs to be natural and himself - I have heard the most off putting thing is the child who tells the school how much he wants a scholarship etc as then there will be more money for his siblings.....the staff I heard that from told me that every time they interview, at least 2 or 3 come up with this 'original' line as the parents are trying to get them to think what a kind child they are!! My point is practice but don't rehearse!!
eal238

Post by eal238 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Definitely prepare for the interview, but don't coach! Your son needs to be natural and himself - I have heard the most off putting thing is the child who tells the school how much he wants a scholarship etc as then there will be more money for his siblings.....the staff I heard that from told me that every time they interview, at least 2 or 3 come up with this 'original' line as the parents are trying to get them to think what a kind child they are!! My point is practice but don't rehearse!!
Thanks very much, I will definitely keep all of this in mind as we prepare :]
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now