City boys 10+/11+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fairyelephant

Re: City boys 10+/11+

Post by fairyelephant »

You are not alone COM, none here either. Hopefully it will all work out in the end for the best. Just got to get through the next couple of weeks!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

City seems very harsh. I know two boys who got marks of around 78% and still did not get an interview, yet they got interviews for Habs and got over the 210 qualifying mark for QE. What do we think you have to get percentage wise to get an interview for City?
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Thanks, Fairy, sorry to hear that.

I don't know what marks are needed. The "marks" given to us are the relative placing (ie where he came overall). DS was well down this year. ARe you sure 78% is a "mark" rather than a placing. If a placing and assuming he just missed out at 78% that would mean 22% got interviews - ie 119 boys out of 541 applicants for the 60-70 places, which sounds a little low to me to be honest.
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

So sorry to hear Fairy and Clapped... It's really tough on the boys. Best of luck to your DS's what are your options Clapped?

With regard to qualifying score the school does not give this out. What they rather do is rank them in terms of their aggregate score and then interview based on these numbers. So 78 might be their rank rather than the percentage score.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Thanks Agatha

Still waiting to hear from Westminster (test was yesterday) but had interviews at a couple of others also.

78 can't be rank, though, so as they have 70 places, and will interview a couple of hundred I'd have thought, a boy with rank 78 would definitely get an interview!
Zoe22

Post by Zoe22 »

So sorry to hear about the DS's that didn't make it. I hope it all works out in the end for all our little boys.
Finchley mum

Post by Finchley mum »

My DS did not get an interview either and I spoke the the admissions lady at the school who said the competition was just very intense this year. It is also not about ranking - we know someone who got a scholarship there because he ranked 2 in the English but around 200 in the maths so the average of the ranking would make him very low. So our DSs could have done extremely well in the exams and still ranked low. Which cheers me up a bit.
Salcombe

Post by Salcombe »

The last post is correct. I know a child who is frankly poor at English but stellar at maths (was offered a scholarship 2-3 years ago). They will pick out individuals if they excel in one or the other tests.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

These students would not be able to get into any state selective without being good at both so I wonder what City does. Do they give them one to one support to top up their weak subject? DG
mystery

Post by mystery »

Interesting question. I find it very dispiriting that a child could be stellar at maths or English and not get in to a state selective. It is very shortsighted, but to the advantage of the local comprehensive I suppose ( or the private school with a less blinkered approach to admissions ).