Past Years' Independant School Papers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tofindout

Past Years' Independant School Papers

Post by tofindout »

Hi,

If anyone can share the past years independant schools' (any school for math and english) answer papers, including those that you have worked out yourself, can you please PM me?

Thanks
twelveminus

Re: Past Years' Independant School Papers

Post by twelveminus »

There are quite a number online, which school(s) are you targeting?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

There are a lot out there - but if you need the answers provided too it cuts down your options a bit.

Here's Manchester Grammar for a start.
tofindout

Post by tofindout »

Thanks. I have printed out the Manchester papers.

I am looking for past year papers from the London and surrounding areas that are no longer available online. I also would like to get some past Latymer Grammar School's papers for dc to practice.
taleila03

Post by taleila03 »

Same here, I am looking for past English and Maths papers for Highgate and North London Consortium. I am currently coaching my two daughters which means hours of marking !! Please pm if you the answers for NLC and any past Highgate past paers available as there are only one sample for each subject on their subject.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

The 'answers' for the English papers are not necessarily set, especially for comprehension questions such as 'In your opinion, why might Eleanor want to smash the eggs?' or 'What do you learn about the character of mum?' A more able student will infer meaning in a different way from a child who is simply extracting information.

On the Highgate paper, questions such as 'Which part of the extract do you find most frightening and why?' will differentiate between the candidates.

It is not possible to have set answers for these questions; in terms of preparation I suggest you ask similar questions about other extracts and build your child's understanding by discussing possible interpretations with her so that she realises that there are a range of possibilities. Finding 'an answer' will limit the number of marks she can be awarded.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Ditto! The reason there are no answers provided is that it is not possible to detail all of the possible answers. I have been asked to provide the creative writing answer for each paper which is impossible. However someone who knows what they are doing can mark the papers for you but they cannot give you answers for you to mark them yourself. These papers are very rich and have layers and layers of meaning. I can easily spend over two hours going through the answers. Arlington Rise, Scotland and Grandparents especially can be answered at a GCSE level and there is a question in the Secret Girlfriend paper that only a handful of students spot. What you need is copies of marked papers or to attend classes and hear them being marked. Then you will see just how many possible answers there can be. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now