CLSG Interview

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kingfisher

Re: CLSG Interview

Post by Kingfisher »

London-Dad, this is misleading.

All students who are called for interview at these schools have met the required standard, regarding academic performance. At interview, students are being assessed and this is a thorough process; it has to be - over two thirds will not make it through.

Another poster has mentioned a child who tried several times to get into NLCS, passing the exam each time, but not making it through the interview. I also know a parent whose Dc tried 4 times - again, making it through the exam but falling at the interview hurdle because she was the wrong type of child for the school.

You might wish to reassure yourself that it is merely a formality, and that is your prerogative, but I think your posting might give others a false sense of security.

The interview is MORE important, in my opinion and I know people who conduct these interviews at several independent schools in North London.

Would you rest on your laurels, knowing that only 1 in 3 would succeed? I wouldn't. I would want to give my DC every possible chance with some sort of preparation.
London-Dad

Post by London-Dad »

Kingfisher wrote:London-Dad, this is misleading.

All students who are called for interview at these schools have met the required standard, regarding academic performance. At interview, students are being assessed and this is a thorough process; it has to be - over two thirds will not make it through.

Another poster has mentioned a child who tried several times to get into NLCS, passing the exam each time, but not making it through the interview. I also know a parent whose Dc tried 4 times - again, making it through the exam but falling at the interview hurdle because she was the wrong type of child for the school.

You might wish to reassure yourself that it is merely a formality, and that is your prerogative, but I think your posting might give others a false sense of security.

The interview is MORE important, in my opinion and I know people who conduct these interviews at several independent schools in North London.

Would you rest on your laurels, knowing that only 1 in 3 would succeed? I wouldn't. I would want to give my DC every possible chance with some sort of preparation.
You are putting multiple words into my mouth...which is also misleading.

You talk of "passing the exam" which is a misleading comment.
Girls do not "pass the exam"...they simply make a ranking list which is then called back for interview.
My point is that the ability to overturn the exam results is somewhat limited.
Girls who clearly lack an ability to engage with the interviewer will clearly not be doing themselves any favours
..but these are the exception rather than the norm.

No problem. We can agree to disagree.

As I said in my original post....I was just communicating feedback from head-teachers whose job is to get girls into SPGS / NLCS / CLSG / SHHS etc etc and to communicate with those schools.
I will let them know...that they don't know what they're talking about.
Nearly behind me

Post by Nearly behind me »

A point of information about city s Oxbridge numbers. Dd had a deferred place and even so it was never clear she was in the figures. A number of friends reapplied after a level and also took gap years and were then successful but again not counted so I would think the figure for her year is definitely higher than 23 per cent .. . And it certainly seems like it when you hear how many of them are around. (Incidentally it really is not the be all and end all to go and as another post says, the US, imperial and UCL etc get a good share).

Numbers would be considerably higher still if you then add in those who moved ucs and ]highgate (Actually very few (3?) opted for Westminster three up years ago - Ucs much more popular!) first five years at city set a lot of the groundwork after all. There again it isn't always the brightest who go by any means! the more ambitious often stay.
Girls move mainly because they want coed experience NOT coed education! Many did well and really enjoyed it, some regretted. Some took a while to settle and had to reapply but got where they wanted in the end.
Don't blame the girls' schools for them leaving. Girls have to be assured and confident to make the move and for it to work. You could equally well argue it is a measure of success that city produce girls who aren't afraid to take the risk of moving and can pull it off!
Don't forget these are girls used to travelling all over town and treated as very grown up from the start.
Finally the new head has been director of studies, and my dd says is a fantastic choice. We certainly liked her and how nice to see a school valuing one of its own.
Good luck to all those going through it. It's such an anxious time but over the years I have come to believe it tends to work out in the end... Though it's hard to believe it at times!