Intake @ NLCS, CLSG HABS Girls, St Helens,

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pabrighton0

Re: Intake @ NLCS, CLSG HABS Girls, St Helens,

Post by pabrighton0 »

STAHG promised to let people know by Monday.
Misty

Post by Misty »

I went to the St helen's interview today and this is what the Deputy head said to us -
St helens had 556 applicants this year including the internal girls
300 interviewed including their own 66 girls
50 of their own + 50 externals will be offered a place and a few extras.
Last edited by Misty on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

Just backing up the NLCS figures - at least 600, perhaps closer to 700 applicants, I'm not sure about the interviews and they offer 60, sometimes more like 70, places to create a year group of around 100. The year is then split into either 4 or 5 classes depending on the size of the year group.
Pandora123

Post by Pandora123 »

We had our interview earlier this week and were told that there will be 6 classes of 18 at NLCS by a member of staff. I'm not sure if that is accurate as 18 in a class seems a touch low.

Also next year the school will have it's own exam and will not be part of the consortium.

Finally the interview although not stressful was quite intensive with 5 puzzles and one descriptive exercise.

Now the long wait.......
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Pandora123 wrote:Also next year the school will have it's own exam and will not be part of the consortium.
Thank you Pandora123 for sharing that information

oh no! more exams next year. :? Did they specify whether exam will just be maths and english or are they including vr and nvr next year.

Good luck to your DD for results day
Sleepyhead
Pandora123

Post by Pandora123 »

I guess it will be pretty much the same as SPGS HABs LEH having their own papers
English and Maths with an additional element
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

Very nice letter from St Albans, Saturday is the perfect day for good news.

DD looking forward to the interview stage.
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

Pandora123 wrote:We had our interview earlier this week and were told that there will be 6 classes of 18 at NLCS by a member of staff. I'm not sure if that is accurate as 18 in a class seems a touch low.

Also next year the school will have it's own exam and will not be part of the consortium.

Finally the interview although not stressful was quite intensive with 5 puzzles and one descriptive exercise.

Now the long wait.......
Hmm 18 in a class and 6 classes is unusual. Usually it's 20-25 and 4/5 classes, so that in Yr 9 they can move up to 7 classes with 15-20 in them. However if you were told by a member of staff that is probably true.
Pandora123

Post by Pandora123 »

Immortal Dreams - 18 to a class did seem to good to be true. But then the teacher proceeded to explain how the class names will be suffixed with a letter from NLCSFMB....

Unless of course she was talking about class nos in later years as mentioned in your post.

Does anyone know of someone who did not receive an offer after an interview at NLCS?
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Pandora123 wrote:Immortal Dreams - 18 to a class did seem to good to be true. But then the teacher proceeded to explain how the class names will be suffixed with a letter from NLCSFMB....

Unless of course she was talking about class nos in later years as mentioned in your post.

Does anyone know of someone who did not receive an offer after an interview at NLCS?

18 to 20 per class in Year7 is standard size at NLCS, SPGS, CLSG - as I understand.

Yes. I have seen some posts on the forum last year and the year before where students didn't get offers after interviews at NLCS.

All the best to you and your DD!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now