RGS Newcastle-upon-Tyne - Interviews?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
eal238

RGS Newcastle-upon-Tyne - Interviews?

Post by eal238 »

My son recently sat the 11+ (18th January) and we received a letter the following Saturday (25th January) inviting him to an interview..

What should we expect from the interview?

I'm not sure how to take the offer of an interview? The school website states that interviews are offered for one of two reasons (i) quality control of its examination papers, to make sure children were given sufficient opportunity to show what they are capable of (ii) because they were borderline in the written exams with regard to meeting the schools entry requirements. It goes on to state, not to give any significance to not being invited to an interview.

Am I wrong to be inclined to believe (hope) that an interview is a positive sign? If a school is highly selective, logically, it would make sense that they would like to meet a child before offering a position, even if they scored the highest mark out of all the entrants.. For example, it's not very often you'd be offered a job, based on your CV and your qualifications alone (unless you were already known within a particular field and your reputation preceded you)?

I'm definitely more anxious than my son, though I'm keeping it well hidden. My son is taking it all in his stride, a come-what-may attitude - which I am thankful for, as I would hate to think he found the process particularly stressful and/or was negatively affected by the whole thing...

The wait it torture!
Last edited by eal238 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amber

Re: RGS Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Post by Amber »

Is this an independent school? I wonder if people on the Independent thread would be better placed to advise?

Say hi to Newcastle for me - love it there! :D
eal238

Post by eal238 »

Hi Amber,

Yes, it is an independent school.

I wasn't sure where to post it to be honest, so i thought I'd just stick it in 'general' :) There seems to be an area for most places in the country, bar the North-East!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Maybe try in the independent section - perhaps a Mod could move it for you? There will be interview tips on there for sure.
The reason there is no north east section is that very sensibly there is not a selective state system up there.

ETA - as if by magic... :wink:
eal238

Post by eal238 »

Amber wrote:
Thanks Amber :wink:
Amber

Re: RGS Newcastle-upon-Tyne - Interviews?

Post by Amber »

eal238 wrote:
Amber wrote:
Thanks Amber :wink:
My powers don't extend that far but someone on high must have been listening. I hope you get some replies now!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now