How many offers do Alleyns, St Dunstans and Colfes make?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tioman

Re: How many offers do Alleyns, St Dunstans and Colfes make?

Post by Tioman »

I'm really looking forward to next week to reach the end of this long, nail biting process. It would be nice to know what goes on in the admissions departments of these schools. I wonder how they make their final decisions? The headmistress at St Dunstans said they sit down and have a long discussion about all of the children. Got to be positive, someone has to be lucky, so why not us? Would be absolutely thrilled if my DD got something from St Dunstans. Think we have a place at Colfes as the headmaster said in the interview that she would be getting in; we also applied for the Drama scholarship, but are not too hopeful about that as there seemed to be lots of children being seen for this and I guess you would really have to stand out.
Anbar, how did your interview go at Colfes - if you did well enough to be in the top 10%, think you would get academic scholarship at least. Bursaries must reach out to those able children a little further down the list, surely? Out of interest did you try for Eltham? Not sure how many sat the exam at Colfes - someone mentioned in the region of 250. Its so hard to predict what will happen isn't it, as so many people are doing all the schools as back up choices.
Have also applied to some girls schools, Bromley and Blackheath, but we prefer mixed and Colfes and St Dunstans have a much happier vibe about them.
Wishing you lots of luck next week….
lefol

Post by lefol »

Good luck to you both and hope you get your first choice school . Colfes are quite generous with scholarships and I think you are likely to get a scholarship with Colfes compares to St D. The main reason is that a few of the junior school pupils compete for scholarships with external students at St D . If you are not bothered about scholarships , then you are likely to get a full fee paying place at both schools .

As you stated , most of the local children here apply to indies as a back up to the grammar schools and will take up the GS place unless they are offered a substantial scholarship or bursary and that has been my experience to date .

Lazy Daisy seems to have disappeared from the forum but she has very good insight into the local schools . Bexley, Bromley and the wider Kent areas are surrounded by some fantastic grammars , senior schools be preps and as such you will have a number to choose from on 3rd March.
babbey01

Post by babbey01 »

Hi All,

Just came across this forum and was wondering how everyone got on? I am looking for good schools in South East London for my daughter for Sept 2015.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
starfish1

Post by starfish1 »

Bromley High is very good
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now