Advice regarding which offer to accept!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mummyjee

Advice regarding which offer to accept!!

Post by mummyjee »

Dear all

My dd has been offered a place at our first choice of independent school. Thankfully this offer includes a significant academic scholarship

If in march my dd also receives an offer from our 1st choice grammar school

(given that both the indie and grammar school are an equal distance from home and both schools academically achieve great results and both schools have students going onto reputable universities etc)

would it be silly to turn down an academic scholarship place at the indie and accept the grammar place??

all advice is welcome - this is our first time through the whole 11+ process

Thank You
hermanmunster

Re: Advice regarding which offer to accept!!

Post by hermanmunster »

It is really difficult for anyone to advise you - and both schools are equally accessible and affordable in the longer term then it comes down to which your DD and you like best.

Don't let reputation or what other people think influence you too much, just how you feel about it.
mummyjee

Post by mummyjee »

my heart says dd will be happier at indie, my head says grammar will be a better solution (financially)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mummyjee wrote:my heart says dd will be happier at indie, my head says grammar will be a better solution (financially)
Can appreciate the problem.. I was in a similar position! Indies are was very nice but I wasn;t sure I could keep providing the ever increasing funding needed not only for fees but extras etc etc, didnt also really feel that there was that much "added value" at the indies.

So GS it was and have I have money saved for Uni - interestingly having later discussed it with the kids they felt it was the right decision (on the hand that was just from the experience of the GS, they may well have said the same if they had been to the indie :wink: )
mummyjee

Post by mummyjee »

well that's good to know. Thanks for that, appreciate it. that's what I was thinking - accepting grammar place (if offered) could mean a holiday and some saving for uni!

:?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We know lots of parents who have turned down 100% academic scholarships from indies and gone to grammars. Take the money out of the equation and choose the one that suits her best. DG
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

Mummyjee - Congratulations to you both. It is nice to hear positive news .....in this endless waiting game.
Hope you get good news in March.
Perhaps visit the Indie on your own - so as to (possibly) help your decision in March. Now that you have a place - you may view the School with a slightly different 'hat' on.

Personally, I don't think it would be silly to turn down an Indie for a grammar.
Consider the extra curricular activities / academic subjects that the Indie may offer, is this something your DD would like to do? You may be able to provide these things outside of school anyway. Does it equate to the fees you will be paying?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We turned down a 100% scholarship in favour of the GS. We realised that the GS was a far better fit for our son's social and academic needs so it was a no brainer for us (although the indie was astonished!)
doodles

Post by doodles »

If the finances aren't a problem then go for the "best fit" but please do consider the cost of extras and trips etc, some can be very expensive.
mummyjee

Post by mummyjee »

thank you all for your advice...

where did 100% scholarships disappear to? haven't seen a single indie offering it this year!

im not that clued up on what grammar schools are like? are the girls very competitive? would love to spend a day in one. didn't manage to go to any open days at a grammar - all the senior school application deadlines - and dates - and this forum - and the whole 11+ processs - and verbal and non-verbal - all came as a surprise very late into the whole process. was clueless - still am!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now