lochinver house

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chamara

lochinver house

Post by Chamara »

Hi,

We are considering our son to Lochinver house, I want to know what the real stats for 11+ exams are? are they end up in habs , mercantyler , st albans. Appreciate all your comments please?
ToadMum

Re: lochinver house

Post by ToadMum »

Chamara wrote:Hi,

We are considering our son to Lochinver house, I want to know what the real stats for 11+ exams are? are they end up in habs , mercantyler , st albans. Appreciate all your comments please?
The school's website states that 11 is a bad time to move children, unless you are moving them to the school at 11 for them to prepare them properly for where they will be going at the sensible time to move children, i.e. 13. I am paraphrasing a bit here, but it is a 'proper' prep school - the traditional transition from prep to senior school was 13, not 11, so I would suspect that they won't be too keen on losing pupils at the end of year 6?

Leavers destinations are here:
http://www.lochinverhouse.com/futureschools

I'm sure that 'Oundel' is just a typo and not a 'knockoff' public school somewhere.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Lochinver House is a feeder school into Habs and St Albans and MT.

They are not geared towards the eleven plus at all.

If a North London Selective school at 11 plus is your goal then Lochinver is not the school for you.

If however you are interested in 13 plus they do very well. One parent told me his son got a 13 plus place at St Albans without either of his parents ever even seeing an exam paper, everything was done at school. DG
Chamara

Post by Chamara »

Thanks all for the quick reply. I do not want to move my child at 11, I just wanted to know my options if we do decide grammer school is better after 11+ , then there is a preparation. I just want the academic opinion on the school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In North London there is no option to decide grammar school is better after 11 plus because spaces are only available at 11 plus. Y7 is the only entry point until Y12.

13 plus is only available at male North London private schools such at Habs, MT and St Albans. There is no 13 plus at all for girls in North London.

I have recommended to several families who missed out on 11 plus places to contact Keble, Lochinver and Aldwickbury as there are always spaces in Y7 because of the families who do move their sons into grammar school at Y7. But they do it despite the schools mentioned and not because of them. DG
Needglasses

Post by Needglasses »

SA wont take you at 11. But a good number will get in with their 12+
A few will try Habs at 11. 1-3 get in maybe.
Almost none will try MT at 11 unless they live that way. Commute is rather long. School really isn't a feeder to MT because of distance. In fact MT has only recently seen an increase in LHS boys. Perhaps it will entice them to add a better bus route.

Most boys stay for 13+. You get about 30-35 staying on. Obviously, some years are anomalies. Only a handful of the more ambitious will try the grammar schools and 11+. Stats aren't great for how many actually get in. 1) Parents don't really put that much effort in it as it is not their aim so half of it will be halfhearted tries. 2) School doesn't prep at all. You will have to put in all the work yourself. You will find the Y5 final exams a long way off from the standard of the 11+ exams.

It really isn't a 11+ school and you have to enter this with your eyes open. Speak to Mrs Meir. She will give you a very honest clarification of what school is and isn't. School does well enough for 13+ but also cannot be expected to perform miracles as it really has a very mixed bag of boys. The top end academic boys usually end up in Habs at 13 if they do apply but some of the sportier ones prefer SA and (the rugby boys) MT anyway.
sa05

Post by sa05 »

My DS attended Lochinver until year 8. We were extremely happy with the amount of effort the school puts in. Year 7-8 are very focused on entrance at 13. It was a very successful year whereby boys went to 13/15 different schools including UCS, HABs, MT, Westminster, Harrow, St Albans etc.
I would certainly not recommend it for 11plus unless you are prepared to do all the work yourself.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now