Nlcs

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Blossomingflower

Nlcs

Post by Blossomingflower »

My daughter got wait listed at Nlcs. Are there any parents in a similar situation? What's the likelyhood of getting an offer and should we accept it as we were not their first choice? Would also like to hear from parents at nlcs who took a place from the waitlist.
MumT2

Re: Nlcs

Post by MumT2 »

Sorry to hear that your DD is on waiting list. NLCS is a great school and if you feel it's the right fit and DD would thrive, then I would call just to let them know I am keen (not sure if it would yield results but it's worth a try!)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There will inevitably be movement on waiting lists in March - some people will be waiting on GS allocations on March 3rd and other will be deciding between independent school offers.

just hang on and see what happens - also don't feel that you are not NLCS's first choice, the fact that you are on the waiting list at all means that they want you, just don't have enough places at present.
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

Blossomingflower wrote: What's the likelyhood of getting an offer and should we accept it as we were not their first choice?
From what I read, NLCS manage the list very well and so you have real chances. As for concerns about them seeing DD second choice, I would not expect that.
In most schools, teachers do not know the students admissions ranking. Perhaps a parent with DDs at nlcs (or maybe even an nlcs teacher) can confirm what happens there.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Nobody has a clue who gets in off the wait list and who had a firm offer. Your DD is a girl who they think will thrive at the school- she is not second best!- they only have 60 places and it was a very competitive year. Do phone and let them know that you are keen.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I know several girls who got in from the waiting list, including my best friend's daughter.

There are people who decline NLCS for all sorts of reasons: they prefer another school either indie or state (some are hoping for and will get HBS); they have applied hoping for a certain amount from the bursary pool but this is not forthcoming; they decide they can get a similar education at a cheaper cost (NLCS has one of the highest fees); or reasons of their own.

I would not bite off your nose to spite your face; it isn't that they think you are 'second best.' Everyone who is called for interview has achieved a certain level in the entrance examination, but there were students who were stronger in the interview and were 'ranked' higher. They liked your DD but they could not offer to everyone. She was not rejected so they do think she will fit in if she is offered a place.There are a limited number of places, as other posters have pointed out and this is the process you have to go through.

If you really like this school, you should sit it out for a while and bide your time. Things will become clearer in a few weeks. If NLCS is not head and shoulders above all other schools for you and you are worried about losing a place at another indie, you should accept elsewhere.

Have you applied for other schools - state or indie- as well?
Blossomingflower

Post by Blossomingflower »

Thanks for the encouraging words and advice.
We are still waiting on Habs results and Hbs amongst others on 3rd March.
I will call Nlcs and express our interest. Sit tight and wait.

Kingfisher, you said your friends DD went to Nlcs from a waiting list. How is she coping at the school? Did your friend ever ask Nlcs why she was put on the WL rather than scoring a firm offer?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Blossomingflower, don't worry about why your daughter is on the W/L rather than a straight offer - there is often very little in the way of marks between the top scorer over all and the last waitlisted.

When it comes to being at school, there is plenty of evidence that those who appeal or are on waiting lists do fine when they get to the schools.

Suspect you need to be v encouraging to your DD at present as if she feels that she has not made the mark then this could affect her feelings about the school - just tell her that it was probably a very small difference and hopefully you will hear soon.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Blossomingflower wrote: Kingfisher, you said your friends DD went to Nlcs from a waiting list. How is she coping at the school? Did your friend ever ask Nlcs why she was put on the WL rather than scoring a firm offer?
Hello Blossomingflower. She is loving the school and fits in extremely well. Don't forget, there is not very much difference academically (if any) between those who get in first time and those on the waiting list. The interview is what makes a huge difference as this is where they decide who would fit in. A huge level of independence is expected at this school where most girls are very confident and have opinions on everything. This sort of environment is not for everyone. They are also trying to sort out those who have been tutored to the test and are unable to think on their feet. There are some who don't like me saying this but this is what happens.

In interview there are some students who are less shy than others, are able to think laterally, can engage in an intelligent and mature way with adults, can demonstrate their thinking process when faced with questions they cannot necessarily answer and so on. They are looking for the brightest. This is why some girls are made firm offers.

The school is of the opinion that your daughter has demonstrated a strong ability to do these and they feel she would thrive in the school. However, although they want her, there were others who have demonstrated the above to a greater degree and so have been 'ranked' higher, according to the interview (but not exam, as we cannot know how she performed in the test). These girls will be placed on the waiting list.

I have been slated on this site in the past for stressing how important the interview is. One parent even went so far as to tell me that this was just a formality. I have said before that I know one family who put their DD through the NLCS exam four times, for entry into different years, of course. She is a very clever girl but ever so introverted; she got through the paper each time but failed to get through the interview on each occasion. The family has since given up. The interview is crucial - fewer than 1 in 3 will get in.

Your DD has done very well to be on the WL. There is a good chance that she will be offered a place, but you must be patient. You do not know how many other girls are higher up on the waiting list than your DD and that is the frustrating thing. But NLCS manages things well and they will start to offer from the WL as soon as other people start to decline their places for whatever reason.

And when it comes down to it, the girls don't know who was made a firm offer and who was on the waiting list. They just get on with it and make friends with each other.

If you were offered HBS, would you take that place over this one? Decisions, decisions!
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Kingfisher is completely correct about the importance of the interview. This is what makes schools like NLCS/SPGS different from HB. The over-tutored are sniffed out and girls who showed a weakness on one part of the exam can come through with a place if they do brilliantly at interview.
Wishing you the best of luck and keep us posted.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now