Merchant Taylor:question for parents starting this year Sep

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

current

Merchant Taylor:question for parents starting this year Sep

Post by current »

Hi

I have a quick question. Even before joining the school, we have received a letter for a Ski trip to Canada! of all the places?

Has anyone else felt that it is too soon, that the boys need to settle down first and then have an international trip.
My son has never gone on an international trip having come from the state sector and also needs time to mingle and be more confident before I feel I am ready to let him go but on the other end I feel he may miss out on a trip the majority of the kids are going to and will then miss out on the bonding as well.

What does everyone feel? Please do share your thoughts as to what do you think I should do ? Also the trip is quite expensive and the school has asked us to confirm by paying a small deposit beforehand so they know how many takers are there?
Daogroupie

Re: Merchant Taylor:question for parents starting this year

Post by Daogroupie »

When is the trip? Intl trips are often planned well in advance so perhaps your ds will be settled in by the time of the trip. DG
current

Post by current »

The trip is in December so yes it is some time away.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

God grief, I certainly wouldn't like this. And canada? Is it some kind of competition or something? Dragging children off on long haul holidays with school? Wow. I might be tempted to talk to your dc, and if they are at all nervous, decide now that it's a no kg and make plans to go on the next opportunity. Sure there will be another!
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I'm not familiar with the school but I imagine they did this was to ensure Year 7s don't miss out SHOULD they want to go.

I presume the trip is open to the whole school? Or just particular year groups? Or just Year 7? I imagine places are limited, say 50 places (a coach full) so it doesn't matter if your ds doesn't go, there will be plenty of boys not going.

My dd is at St Helens and she went skiing with the school to Austria this year. It was a great opportunity and she had a great time. It was for Years 8 and 9 and they had 45 spaces is most of those years didn't go.

Ski trips to the US and Canada are becoming more commonplace. If you do decide to send your ds he will be looked after incredibly well. Maybe have a chat with your ds about it? He may not even want to go!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Slightly off topic and with apology to OP. Isn't it funny that trips during school time, organized by schools, are educational; but the same trip, organized by family and possibly cheaper, are holidays and under new rules, subject to fines?
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Tiffinboys - ski trips are during school holidays.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I wasn't talking about this one in particular, and not just about ski trips. General observation.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Our state GS (not in an affluent area!!) organises a skiing trip for years 7-9 each year, in the US at a cost of £1500+ (I think). It's a shame - I would have like my children to try skiing as we can't really afford to go all at once, but there was no way we could do this. My point is that it's not just indies. I don't think our school would ask children to sign up before they start, but I could be wrong, they may get a letter in the start up pack.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS1 - year 12 doing 3 sciences and Maths As - gave us pre-warning yesterday that for next year his GS will be organising a science trip to Florida which will cost £1600. Not that he's hoping to be able to go, or anything...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx