Berkhamsted Boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rosiemum

Berkhamsted Boys

Post by rosiemum »

I have recently visited Berkhamsted Boys school and really liked the atmosphere. Does anyone have any feedback on the school? My DS is very sporty but does well at school and I want him to be stretched academically. Also does anyone know the format of the exams? It is English, Maths and VRT but no specimen papers or information available. Does anyone know what the VRT format is? Anyone have any opinions about this school? Thank you.
Daogroupie

Re: Berkhamsted Boys

Post by Daogroupie »

Very sporty. But it is where boys who can't get into St Albans go from our local area and nobody from our state primary has ever failed to get into St Albans so that must make Berkhamsted boys easier to get into. It also serves a different area of Hertfordshire where it does not really have any comparable schools. DG
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Again it takes all the boys from round here who did not succeed to get into a bucks grammar and a few that did but were rightly impressed with it.
The school isn't difficult to get into in comparison to grammar, but you still have to be bright to pass the tests or get to the top of the waiting list, but aim for a scholarship in the tests anyway, it's only 10% but a great deal is expected of scholarship boys.
The parents I know who have children at both berko and grammar actually rate berko highest, this may be due to the huge amount of money they have invested of course, but they are honest characters and they love the small classes, individual attention and diverse curriculum and extra curriculum.
From what I hear it is very sporty, not only pushes academically but supports each child's needs really well and produces well rounded, well qualified boys.
The boys are also offered flexible boarding....which must be great when you need to kennel the little toe rags for a weekend for your own sanity! :lol:
I know 5 boys who go to the school, (3 really well) one who passed his eleven plus, the others who were all within three points of passing, could of easily thrived at grammar, but were fortunate enough to have parents who were wealthy enough to go private after failing to win appeals or deciding not to try.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Sorry to disagree but I don't know anybody who would rate Berkhamsted ahead of DCGS or RGS High Wycombe.

DS had several good friends there and they all seemed like really nice boys but unless you are desperately keen on the perceived cachet of private education I fail to see what it offers over the GSs.

Sport is pretty good, but no better than at the GSs and besides all the boys who are particularly good at sport play outside school – swimming, gymnastics, football, rugby, basketball, tennis all boast extremely highly-rated clubs in the immediate area.

Also rosiemum you should be aware that it does have the reputation, whether fairly or not, of being the school which boys are sent to if they haven't passed the 11+ but wish to avoid the alternative state school options.
rosiemum

Post by rosiemum »

Thank you for your feedback. We have recently moved to the Hemel area and not enamoured with our state options. I liked the feel of Berkhamsted but what other options would you suggest for a sporty boy who does fine academically but is more interested in sport than study!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

If he would be eligible for a place, Longdean School in Hemel has a pretty consistent track record and good reputation. No idea about how strong it is for sport, though.

Ashlyns in Berkhamsted has had some difficult times over the last few years, but is much more stable now.

Unfortunately, having strong grammars in Bucks and West Herts means that the indie options in the surrounding area are pretty limited.
manicmum

Post by manicmum »

Just to add other things to the mix you could check out Merchant Taylors. Depending on the age you need your DS to start. As MTS is from 11+ or 13+ entry. My DS is there and loves it to bits. He's not very sporty but some of his friends are and the MTS school teams are highly competitive. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. As we live in Chalfonts I know kids who take the grammar & other indi's route. Wishing you well with your deliberations.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I was going to suggest MTS too, but not sure how accessible it is from Hemel. If you're near a Metropolitan Line tube station, it's very easy.

Glad your DS is enjoying it there, manicmum, it's a great school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now