means tested bursaries, is there a maximum income threshold

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

beeb

means tested bursaries, is there a maximum income threshold

Post by beeb »

hello, would be interested in any advice re:means tested bursaries. We were hoping to send our child to a school which offered substantial scholarships (up to 50% reduction of fees) obviously, only if our child managed to pull out all the stops and be incredibly lucky. However, this practice has now been changed to 10% scholarships and means tested bursaries. I have no idea of the maximum income threshold for a bursary and would be grateful if anyone could shed any light on this. Many thanks

Post by Guest »

It varies from school to school. I suggest you ring them and ask.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

varies hugely between schools - depends on the funds available to them :

http://www.kehs.org.uk/UserFiles/File/S ... sOct06.DOC

... an example of a very generous scheme....
beeb

Post by beeb »

thanks for replies. Have now got info from school, which is an extremely detailed form requesting figures for income, tax payments and capital investments/property etc. Will probably still have a go and fill in form, but really don't hold out any hope of assistance as we are not in lowest income bracket but obviously don't have anywhere near the income to pay fees. Have checked previous posts and saw that someone quoted a base income of 30,000 to qualify for help, but would be really grateful if anyone has actual experience of applying for a means tested bursary.
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

We applied for a bursary for a well known boy's school in North London, following advice given on the open day where the Bursar encouraged people to fill in the form even if they thought it extremely unlikely they would qualify. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't. My ds was called for interview and at the same time I had an interview with the
Bursar. Although he was very pleasant, he made it clear that he thought I was wasting the school's time by submitting an application. I don't know if it counted against my son but he was offered a place on the waiting list which we didn't take up. I felt we had been misled at the open day and would caution anyone to quiz the school carefully about the level of income required to be considered for a bursary.

Post by Guest »

herewegoagain wrote:We applied for a bursary for a well known boy's school in North London, following advice given on the open day where the Bursar encouraged people to fill in the form even if they thought it extremely unlikely they would qualify. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't. My ds was called for interview and at the same time I had an interview with the
Bursar. Although he was very pleasant, he made it clear that he thought I was wasting the school's time by submitting an application. I don't know if it counted against my son but he was offered a place on the waiting list which we didn't take up. I felt we had been misled at the open day and would caution anyone to quiz the school carefully about the level of income required to be considered for a bursary.
We decided not to bother because forms are so intrusive. Although we probably would have got something, we just couldn't face revealing all that private info to the school. Retaining dignity seemed more important at the time (not so sure now that fees have gone up so much!) :(

In my experience

Post by Guest »

Well if you have a household income of 45k, City of London girls and NLC look for a parental contribution of 11,061k. Yes you read correctly - unbelievable isn't it! So if you've got the average london mortgage, a couple of other sprogs, and you don't end up with an eye-watering debt a bursary application is a waste of effort.

Maybe, some people have sources income that don't go through the books or don't have to meet market rate housing costs?

http://www.clsg.org.uk/admissions.htm
ah

Post by ah »

Hi,

How intrusive? we may have to go through the process, any information would be great?

Post by Guest »

ah wrote:Hi,

How intrusive? we may have to go through the process, any information would be great?
Well basically you have to reveal your entire income, any capital in excess of a certain amount (can't remember precisely how much and it was several years ago anyway), how many dependants and their ages and schools, and if you have remarried or living with somone their income also has to be included even if they're not the parent of the child concerned. Looking at the form it just seemed easier to do extra hours work to earn enough to pay the fees rather than fill it in! Also, if your income goes up while child is still at the school you are re-assessed every year so you have to pay more in proportion to your income. I know people who have chosen to go on working very part-time and not furthering their careers rather than jeopardise their assisted place, which I think is crazy. Also I know some schools (not in Birmingham where I am, at least I don't think so) where they send a senior teacher round to view your address and see if there are any Mercs parked on the drive.
ah

Post by ah »

I see, when i spoke with some from Edgbaston High, she did say it was rigorous, i think i spelt it right?, but didnt realise that it was this much!

Thanks for the response.

Ah
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now