past paper

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Apple33

past paper

Post by Apple33 »

?
Last edited by Apple33 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minoula

Re: Latymer Upper past paper

Post by minoula »

Hi stumbled on this as just starting to think about schools for DD1. DS1 sat Latymer Upper last Jan and is now in year 7 there. The school send you sample papers in the next few weeks, as I seem to remember. I do remember him telling me that the format to both the Maths and English papers on the day was very similar so the sample papers, so definitely worth your son doing them under timed conditions.

Unless things have changed this year, there is no NVR or VR papers for Latymer Upper. Instead these elements are incorporated into the Maths and English papers. This is because the school had tracked the progress of those doing very well / not so well in VR and NVR through the school and the results had no bearing whatsoever on their performance through the school or at GCSE / A-Level. They don't want children wasting time grinding away at Bond Papers for VR / NVR.

Last Jan the comprehension was quite tricky, but questions were in multiple choice format - often asking for subtle distinctions between words,etc. There is then a composition, similar to most schools. The maths paper gets increasingly tricky and possibly will have a few ridiculous questions towards the end. It seems that they are testing children's reasoning and ability to think on their feet/ have a go, even if they don't get to the correct answers. So important to just get something down on paper for these more complex questions!

Last year thet interviewed 450 for 120 places. About 1300 sat the exam.

Good luck!