Independent schools for girls near Barnet with Yr9 intake

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

malthz

Independent schools for girls near Barnet with Yr9 intake

Post by malthz »

Can someone suggest good independent secondary school for girls near Barnet.
Daogroupie

Re: Independent schools for girls near Barnet with Yr9 intak

Post by Daogroupie »

Why do you need a Y9 intake? If you are in Y6 the girls exams are in January 2015 so you have plenty of time to prepare. Very few girls schools do a Y9 intake. Boys in coed preps have found themselves practically in a single sex year as all the girls have to leave to take Y7 places. The only one I know of is in Herts, Haileybury near Hertford. DG
Webbol

Post by Webbol »

My guess is that you have a son who has done well at QEB and so are looking to relocate a Y8 girl at the end of the year. In which case, worth adding Queenwood to the list? Not cheap, but that might not be a bad thing to stop her feeling part of a 'restructure' for him.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Queenswood would certainly be a much better option location wise than Haileybury as the two schools are a lot nearer. You would get more help if you actually outlined the situation and enabled members to give specific advice. Queenswood is twenty thousand a year and has to compete with very good local schools so it is very straightforward to get a place if you have the funds. You could probably get a place now if you are ready to move. DG
malthz

Post by malthz »

Thanks for replies. Webbol guessed it right. My DS has done well in QEB and we are looking to relocate. I have DD who is in Year 8 now and she is academic. I am looking for both state and independent schools. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I will look into Queenswood.
Webbol

Post by Webbol »

I looked at Queenswood for my DD2- wasn't sure the semi - selective DD1 went to was right for her (or she was right for it.) It's a lovely school, not heavily academic, but plenty of opportunities. Plenty of girls seem to move at 13+, a lot from overseas as I understand, so socially it should be OK.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If your dd is academic I would look at Habs, NCLS, St Albans and City. Places at these schools do come up especially at St Albans as girls on waiting lists at STAGS and Harpenden schools do move if they get places. I would contact these schools now and see if she can sit an exam to put her on the waiting list for places. DG
copella

Post by copella »

Malthz you seem to be looking for schools in Sutton too. Is your dd happy? If she is settled, are there no good schools where you live that could take your son rather than disrupt your dd. She will have friends and settled, he on the other hand will be transitioning with the rest of the y7's. Perhaps look at her needs too. If he is bright enough to have passed all these exams then he will do well in other schools.
malthz

Post by malthz »

Sorry I was away for a while.

Thank you for your replies. I will update soon.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now