Bursary at Independent School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lovingmom

Bursary at Independent School

Post by lovingmom »

My DS is going to appear for two independent school exam soon. We have received the bursary related paperwork. While completing one of the schools bursary form, we have noticed that it mentions few criteria which we need to meet in order to be considered for the means tested bursary (like family income less than £75k; savings less than £50k ; no second property). If we does not meet all the above criteria, then we will not be considered for bursary at all.

I suppose many in this forum has gone through similar situation. My question is that do the schools follow the above terms and conditions fully or are they bit flexible about it and consider the whole financial situation of the parents. My DS is bright and expected to do well in the exam. However, if we do not get bursary, then it will not be possible for us to send him to independent school. The school mentioned that they appoint some independent Bursary company to assess the financial situation.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
hermanmunster

Re: Bursary at Independent School

Post by hermanmunster »

Applying for bursaries is very difficult and rarely are the criteria so clearly and publicly stated.

Not stating them tends to mean the people don't know whether they have met the criteria or whether they have just missed and been allowed in anyway - they just know that they have been awarded the funding.

There are lots of ways of deciding how bursary funding should be distributed - some look at just earned income and some include assets - arguments for and against!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You could make an appointment to see the school bursar before you apply and discuss your application with him/her. You would get a better idea of whether or not you would be eligible for a bursary - bear in mind that the bursary fund is ALWAYS over subscribed and even people who meet the criteria fully may not be given an award. Obviously, if your son does very well, he may be eligible for a scholarship which is some reduction in fees etc. If you do not meet the criteria for a bursary, the school at least thinks you can afford to send him there. Make sure you have realistic back up plans, though just in case - i.e. a state school.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

If they are being that publicly prescriptive about the criteria for qualification for bursaries I would imagine that they will stick rigidly to their stated criteria otherwise you could only imagine the quagmire they would get themselves into with endless legal challenges , this is why most Indies normally allow a little wriggle room.
I am quite surprised that they have been so explicit.