Good luck to all, for the up-coming Indie exams

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DebsB

Re: Good luck to all, for the up-coming Indie exams

Post by DebsB »

SleepyHead wrote:
fairyelephant wrote:I felt I hadn't prepared the child well enough and they wouldn't perform as well as they should given their ability.
ditto
I felt the same about my dd and the grammar school 11+ last term. I'm sure there are lots of parents feeling the same way.
J50

Post by J50 »

DebsB wrote:
SleepyHead wrote:
fairyelephant wrote:I felt I hadn't prepared the child well enough and they wouldn't perform as well as they should given their ability.
ditto
I felt the same about my dd and the grammar school 11+ last term. I'm sure there are lots of parents feeling the same way.

Yep ditto2.

Son started this morning with first of four. Just happens to be the number one/two choice, but the hardest to get into, the hardest exams etc. Would've preferred a different order of the exams for a bit of a warm up but never mind. Seemed to go ok, but it's done now and we shall see; at least he was happy with it, answered all the questions tho' found it tight for time, and takes some confidence from it to the next one.

Life seems much easier (and cheaper) up north given the MGS papers he's been doing recently I think he'd walk into there no problem with the marks he has been getting and the pass levels I have seen quoted. :roll: :roll:

Best of luck to all... :) :)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

How did he find the John Steinbeck Red Pony paper? I think it is a lot harder than the papers from previous years. Has MGS upped the ante on their English papers? Steinbeck is GCSE level. What sort of marks has he been getting? We did this paper yesterday and some students were not able to finish the questions in the time, especially with all those six mark questions at the end. DG
Michelle361

Post by Michelle361 »

So I didn't sleep a wink last night, recieved a letter yesterday from our fav. indie, that the test has changed from multiple choice to standard. Test is this Friday and we only practised multi-firmats. Stressed all over now. Can anyone tell me the main differences, specially for VR as that is a weakness. :cry:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It just means writing out the answer yourself instead of ticking a box. It should be fine, just do some prep in the next couple of days with standard papers. DG
J50

Post by J50 »

Daogroupie wrote:How did he find the John Steinbeck Red Pony paper? I think it is a lot harder than the papers from previous years. Has MGS upped the ante on their English papers? Steinbeck is GCSE level. What sort of marks has he been getting? We did this paper yesterday and some students were not able to finish the questions in the time, especially with all those six mark questions at the end. DG
Didn't quite reach that one (2014) as I started from 2008 and worked upwards! Used most of the Maths Paper 2 and getting 84%+. Used most of the English Paper 2 for Comprehension and marks about the same, slightly less, 80%+ and one that went wrong that was c.66%. Quite like Dulwich College also.
J50

Post by J50 »

Michelle361 wrote:So I didn't sleep a wink last night, recieved a letter yesterday from our fav. indie, that the test has changed from multiple choice to standard. Test is this Friday and we only practised multi-firmats. Stressed all over now. Can anyone tell me the main differences, specially for VR as that is a weakness. :cry:

Tend to find that it means that the test takes slightly less time as you don't have to find the answer sheet and mark the correct little box, so that should be a positive especially if you have found timing tight.
susan40

Post by susan40 »

@Michelle361 don`t worry, questions are the same - only difference is standard is marked on the actual test. Make sure the questions gets read well as some ask to circle or underline ...
Michelle361

Post by Michelle361 »

Thanks all :D - Last minute panic attack obviously!

She took a multi test last night (do not have any standard tests) and i let her answer on the test sheet itself without the seperate multi format answer sheet and she did fine, with indeed more time left. Fingers crossed we have done enough ...
nyr

Post by nyr »

Michelle361, the first time DS did standard format tests he mixed uppercase and lowercase letters in the coding questions. It may seem like a small point, and I don't know how the school would mark these, but it may be worthwhile to check that your DD isn't writing gvxn rather than GVXN, or vice versa.

Good luck with the test on Friday.