CLSG interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HotCrossBun

Re: CLSG interviews

Post by HotCrossBun »

Coolmum123, I checked with my DD's primary, and they confirmed that CLSG sent them a reference/report form, and they then filled it out and sent it back. So I think CLSG did mail out reference forms to all the DC's schools in December as they said they would do. As parents, we never saw any of it. It was strictly between CLSG and our primary school.

We don't know why we were asked to give additional information in the form of a school report to parents. It could be that all candidates being considered for interview will be asked to provide them a school report, or it could be that we are marginal candidates, and they need more detail to decide in our particular cases.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Thanks for replying Hotcrossbun,

I'll go back to being very cautiously optimistic. Can't stand all this uncertainty, thank god this is the last time I face 11+!!! :?
NeedWine

Post by NeedWine »

I wonder if they have asked for this where the reference from the head has not been received or where it is very bland/does not give much detail. the heads at the prep schools are no doubt used to providing these reports and provide very detailed info, but heads at some state schools which don't have many kids going into the independent sector maybe are less forthcoming?
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

Yes coolmum123, I think cautiously optimistic is the right attitude. I am certainly trying, lol!

CLSG is the most difficult school to which DD is applying. So if this doesn't work out, she still has a few "second chances" that are attractive in their own right.

I am certain that my DD's primary did send back the reference requested in December. I asked! Her primary is unfamiliar with CLSG, no child has applied there before, but they do have a handful of children apply to more local private schools every year. They are not a prep school, but they do try to be cooperative. They are not stridently against private education or anything.

My DH has a theory that all the reports are glowing. After all the heads and teachers who fill them out know the children well and are emotionally invested in them. He thinks that CLSG wants to compare what is said directly to the parents about their children with what the primaries/preps are saying to them about the candidates. This way CLSG can make sure that no child is being "over-sold."
Balhamite

Post by Balhamite »

HotCrossBun your DH's theory seems very plausible, my DD is the only child applying to CLSG from her school also and they have reassured me they sent a reference to City as requested.

Can't believe I have to go through this in another couple of years!
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

I think it's likely that schools like CLSG know how truthful the references are from various heads they know well and can gauge accordingly. If a child is from a school with only one applicant, or if they have not had a child apply from that school before, they might perhaps need more information to increase their confidence levels. I'm sure it's a good sign!
rsoni

Post by rsoni »

Sounds positive.. All the best!
Have not received a request like this. I am very worried .. DD is from a state school and was forced to skip year 4 completely when she moved on to The UK last year (different age criterion :| )
Am super worried as she didnt get an interview call at channing and I assumed channing is less competitive compared to the other Central London schools I applied for .. Such as Francis Holland and CLSG..
Why does it have to be so stressful.. And what if she doesn't get a call from any of the 6 schools I have applied for?:-((
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

print out the list of consortium schools and contact them and ask if they would accept your application if Channing sent them the exam result. I really hope you get some good news from one of your schools today. DG
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

rsoni wrote: Why does it have to be so stressful.. And what if she doesn't get a call from any of the 6 schools I have applied for?:-((
Have you submitted a common application form with a list of state schools you'd also consider? I assume you've done it, but if you haven't, it might be worth submitting a late application? Our problem is the other way around - DD sat super selectives and independents as a back-up to keep my stress levels in check because we had no priority in the local state school.

Something will work out - don't panic yet.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

Did you ask them to take into consideration her background- i.e. skipping a year at school? If not you should call all schools you applied for asap and alert them to this. They are very good at taking facts such as these into consideration.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now