Habs girls interviews are out, first email a hour ago

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

animal

Re: Habs girls interviews are out, first email a hour ago

Post by animal »

I have never met any girl who got to interview and did not get an offer at St Albans.
I know a girl in my DD's year who got to interview at St Albans and was waitlisted but didn't get a place.
Do parents also get interviewed at Habs?
Yes.
Disappointeddad

Post by Disappointeddad »

What topics are they likely to touch upon with the parents?
possum

Post by possum »

Does anyone know how many girls SAHS call back for interview? They have 2 days of interviews this year, so guessing that is 4 sessions, unless they have more than one concurrently. Also, how many girls in each session group?
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

I'm not sure about that Possum. One thing though- there is a new head this year, so things might be done slightly differently to past years. I know that St Albans are working very, very hard to get their grades competitive with Habs etc, so whether or not it's harder to get an offer remains to be seen.
vas

Post by vas »

Disappointeddad wrote:What topics are they likely to touch upon with the parents?
Very informal chat (that's how it was 3 years ago) talking about your daughter. An opportunity to ask questions about the school etc.

Your daughter will be given maths questions (slightly challenging), to see what she observes in a picture/photo ie her interpretation of it, given something to read and asked questions, followed by a friendly chat. The person interviewing is usually friendly and encouraging rather than intimidating.

Not sure if all this is slightly outdated but I'm sure it can't be very different.

Good luck to all.

I'm slightly surprised at hearing children being invited to St Pauls etc and not Habs. In prior years girls going for St Pauls, NLCS etc interviews have always been offered Habs. Perhaps Habs has reduced their intake?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

St Albans has a new Head from St Pauls. So far she has not made any major changes but the selection process is certainly something she could influence. I have always find it odd that they don't interview girls the way Habs, NLCS, City and St Helens do. I know of a lot of girls who have interviews for all these schools and will be choosing in the next week or so. Of all the interviews Habs is the most challenging and academic and St Albans is just a group task. Will it change this year? What exactly did the interview letter say? DG
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Our experience was that Habs was a bit of a wild card. We felt by the end of the process with DD and her year that they didn't interview/offer girls who didn't want them far above the other schools. They speak to parents for a reason!
DAO- Unless things have changed a lot, Habs interview was straight forwardly academic. NLCS interview is non-threatening but actually more intellectually testing. I think lots of girls miss the point of what's being asked.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So what is the percentage fallout of NLCS after interview compared to HABS? I think Habs interview more girls but a smaller percentage get through. DG
dreamon

Post by dreamon »

I agree DG - Habs does appear to interview many more but only offer a few, although this year NLCS is also interviewing a fair few and will only offer 60 odd dd's....
I'm quite worried that it indicates that although a dd did well to get through to interview stage there is a strong likelihood that this may not ultimately result in an offer.
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

I think shootmenow (or someone with NlCS background) said they were interviewing far fewer at NLCS this year- I'll look for the comment. I think they said that the pass mark was much increased so fewer had got interviews. I'll see if I can find the comment.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now