What do I tell the neighbours?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lefol

What do I tell the neighbours?

Post by lefol »

Its now March and one or two of my neighbours have asked where ds will be attending in September. I feel strange telling them that ds is going to an indie. My decision to go down the indie route was simply due to the fact he was offered one of the worst performing comps and it was a risk I could not afford. How do you handle those weird 2 min conversations?
hermanmunster

Re: What do I tell the neighbours?

Post by hermanmunster »

Just say - he is going to X, he is really looking forward to it and smile sweetly

No excuses, no explanations or comments.

Any questions will come from them.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Agree, just tell them. Are you worried they'll disapprove? They'll hardly be rude enough to say so. And you'll have to own up eventually unless you're going to smuggle DS out of the house every morning in a fake uniform! :D
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Look on the bright side, you may have one less neighbour who talks to you as I did when I said X was going to Y! :roll: :lol:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Just tell them. Some will never speak to you again. Some will suddenly open up about how they tried/considered indie route or nearly moved to Kent/Bucks/Essex but never got around to it. Some will be 'disappointed' that you have not joined them in their support of a local school. Either way in my experience it is an eye opening experience and my life is none the worse for the 'friends' I have lost. :D
mad?
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Tell them he's going to St Brutus's Secure Cente for Incurably Criminal Boys (or Hogwarts) - or the truth - or put your ipod in every morning before you leave the house and don't talk to the neighbours. If you know you've made the right choice for your son (and I'm sure you have) and he and you have worked hard enough to get him there don't let other people's attitude spoil this for you. You want your son to be proud of where he's going - not embarrassed. It'll be a 9 day wonder. One of my sisters went to an Indie - definitely not the thing on a council estate in the '70s - but the neighbours forgot about it - after the first couple of laughs at her boater. :lol:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

push-pull-mum wrote:Tell them he's going to St Brutus's Secure Cente for Incurably Criminal Boys
Definitely go with this, at least you won't get beaten up.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Thanks all for your responses..they certainly made me laugh! The idea of St Brutus sounds good (without the secure bit), but then again it sounds like the name of a leafy indie, okay may go for the option of smuggling ds in a fake uniform. Then again, I am working my socks off to save for the fees in September, should I be 'buvvered' what they think? yes/no, may just tell them. :roll:
sp

Post by sp »

NO you certainly shouldn't be bothered about your choice. If anyone is rude enough to question your decision just say that you all feel it is the school that suits him best. If you feel it necessary, you can add that it's not going to be easy, although this is really none of their business.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

New neighbours??
Any chance of a move somewhere more congenial??