CLSG Offers are out

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: CLSG Offers are out

Post by Daogroupie »

She has done well. Did you do all the Consortium Past papers? There are 18 of them! It is a formula which is predictable. Are you holding another offer that you can run with while you are on the waiting list? DG
Khe

Post by Khe »

Thank you. She practiced the past papers on CLSG website; which aren't that many. We have not applied to any other independent schools as her heart was set on City. We have made applications however to two other State Schools.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Ollopy, why don't you go to offer day at City which will be in a couple of weeks time. This is only for girls and their parents who are actually holding offers so they will make a lot of fuss over you. You don't have to accept the offer before you go. We went to offer day a few years ago and had a lovely time. We were given a very detailed tour with one of the girls which was geared specifically to what we wanted to see which was Sport and Music. I am very surprised that if they knew that you were from overseas they did not offer you a tour on exam or interview day. Did you bring it up with the senior management while she was at her interview? As my dd had a music and normal interview I was in the room with the Head and SMT for a long time and felt that I could have asked them anything I liked. I certainly would have asked them for a tour if that was an issue. DG
Clapham mum

Post by Clapham mum »

Does anyone know how many are on the waiting list? We were told it was very short and had felt hopeful. However there does appear to be quite a few others on the forum on the list which makes me wonder how short short is! My daughter is veering towards JAGS having received a firm offer which is totally understandable from her point of view but I really liked City and think it would suit her. Hopefully things will start to move soon when people start to decline offers. After this whole process we found it very therapeutic sending our nos yesterday. Anyone with any thoughts?
Balhamite

Post by Balhamite »

Clapham mum my DD is holding offers from CLSG and JAGS, we will take the CLSG offer as my DD loves the school. I suspect offer holders are waiting until the offer holders morning at City next week before declining. I hope your DD is offered a place. All the best. :D
Clapham mum

Post by Clapham mum »

Yes fingers crossed and from your user name you might not be too far from us! That could be one local friend. The geographical spread of the girls is one thing that puts me off City slightly with the majority seeming to come from west and north London. What day is the offer holders morning?
Ollopy

Post by Ollopy »

Sent out the four declines today (including city and three other scholarship places) but definitely feel we've made the right decision choosing Alleyns, especially as they've been so accommodating and very generous. Daogroupie - in answer to your question, we would have loved to go to the clsg open day and give it a chance but we couldn't really pay for flights (yet again) and miss another week of school; we've flown over twice and missed three weeks of school due to all the exams/interviews/scholarship interviews (not that that's a problem in US state schools, she probably could have missed the whole of spring!!) I sent an email to clsg in January asking if they could possibly arrange a brief tour/chat/anything on interview day to give the school a chance and they said no (which was pretty disappointing). Interview day confirmed that it wasn't a good fit for her (DD annoyed that all the questions were academic based rather than personal - she felt it was unnecessary given the exam and (being a bit american!) annoyed she didn't get to express herself!!) DD is a pretty normal kid and interview day seemed to be full of (very impressive!) grade 7 musicians/prep school prefects and wasn't sure whether dd would fit in. It's always difficult turning down a super selective but i think dd will be grateful for a few more years of (relative) normality. It is sad though - I feel my attitude to the school would have been completely different if I had been given the 'sell'
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is so totally unreasonable of them, I am very surprised. Perhaps this is the change of Head, it does not sound like Diana Vernon's style. I liked City because I felt it wasn't about prep school prefects with all those badges but about who you are and what you could bring to the school. "hobbies and interests" interviews can be prepared for. I think academic interviews are much more revealing as it shows if the girls are actually interesting in learning rather than being prepared for a written exam. Perhaps your daughter did not realise that the consortium exam is very very easy to prepare for because the questions are the same every year, just different text, so they need to probe further. That is why NLCS left this year and Habs and SPGS were never in!

You are right not to be led by league tables and instead to choose the school that has worked with you and that your dd feels comfortable with. Are you done or do you have more to go through? DG
goldieandthreebears

Post by goldieandthreebears »

Ollopy it is a shame that you can't go to the offers morning at CLSG. The school is nothing like you describe, if anything the intake is a lot more variable than Alleyn's with many girls from state schools and of many different backgrounds. They are clever, motivated and hard working. They are not all grade 7 musicians and definitely not all prep school kids with badges. It has a wonderful, buzzing atmosphere in the centre of the city, what it hasn't got is the grounds of the Dulwich schools.
Sw17TB

Post by Sw17TB »

Hi - my first time posting. Just found this thread. My dd is deciding between City and JAGS - tough choice as both great! Looks like there might be a few south London northern liners on this thread? We are close to balham/tooting bec. Any fears about the rush hour crush/tube strikes?

Does anyone have a view as to which school is more pressurised - JAGS or City? Apparently at JAGS, girls are told what the form median grade is for every test - I may have misunderstood this and will try to get to the bottom of it ( wouldn't want to spread false rumours!). If this is true, doesn't this mean there will always be a top half and a bottom half for every test? Not sure how positive that is for girls who linger in the bottom half.... My dd is at a state school now and I suspect she may have some catching up to do compared to prep school kids (eg sciences, french).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now