CLSG Offers are out

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dadofmytwo

Re: CLSG Offers are out

Post by Dadofmytwo »

Yes... Similar to the summer open day but obviously far fewer girls and parents. There was a busy feel to the school and all the girls we spoke to were friendly and enthusiastic.

DD likes it and as our first choice so we will choose it over other North London consortium schools.
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

We went this morning.

It was a first chance to talk to teachers, all of whom came across as kind, intelligent and thoughtful. We found the philosophy of "life long learning" very appealing. When they said they wanted to teach the girls how to learn, think, question, and analyse for the rest of their lives, I felt they were sincere and were backing that up with pedagogical practice.

The City girls we spoke to were all "bright as buttons." Brimming with enthusiasm and keen to help, explain, and show off their school. My DH did wonder how teachers handle classrooms with 22/24 girls so filled with energy and bubbling enthusiasm. Every hand in the room must shoot up before the poor teacher can finish the question.

We had the chance to speak with the new headmistress. She comes across better in a face to face chat than when addressing a packed lecture hall. There is nothing wrong with her public speaking, but she doesn't yet project a big personality out into the room iyswim. When speaking more intimately with her, her confidence, passion and intelligence come across much more clearly. We now have a good feeling about her and are comfortable that she will guide the school brilliantly going forward.

The visit this morning further confirms that City is a modern, rational, unpretentious place. No over the top, anachronistic uniforms, no panelled corridors, no chapel in the mornings, etc. City does not provide the full "Harry Potter" experience. It's long on substance and short on style.

For us, the only downside is the commute. It's a drag in and out everyday on a crowded tube train. It's just one thing, but it is not a small thing. The one upside of the commute is that most girls will also have to commute on public transport and this will filter out families that are hesitant about giving their DDs independence. If you are the sort of parent who encourages indepence and a bit of risk taking, you are likely to find a lot of like minded families at City.

That's everything I can think. I'd be keen to get other parents' impressions.
NeedWine

Post by NeedWine »

Your comments on the headmistress are interesting. That is also my impression. Diana Vernon did have a real presence, although my understanding is that the new one is well (more) liked by the girls.

Did they say anything about a new uniform from Sept?
Sw17TB

Post by Sw17TB »

Very impressed with the school. Girls seemed very natural, normal and happy (and no hair flicking in sight!). Spoke to head of lower school - I really like the school's teaching approach; the girls aren't "graded" until yr9 (I think that's what she said) and are just encouraged to enjoy learning and do their best. Dd loved it so I think we will be accepting. Have also heard that the girls really like new head.

Journey in this morning wasn't amazing, but dd said she loved the school and will be fine with the journey. Anyone else travelling from south london (Northern line)?

One girl mentioned a new uniform - more grey? Think still under consultation.
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

No, no indication about uniforms and we did ask generally about the uniform.

Yes, we really liked Ena Harrop. My above comments weren't meant to be a criticism in anyway. Just a necessary corrective against the tendency to overlook/underestimate more modest/introverted people! ( Not that I think you are "pulling me up on it," NeedWine, but just to be extra clear. Maybe the sophisticated readers of this forum don't fall into that trap of being dazzled by "big characters"...but I do sometimes! :oops: ). So, I just wanted to point out that Ena is a different character, but every bit as impressive, since it probably wasn't possible for every parent to get to chat face to face with her.
NeedWine

Post by NeedWine »

I agree HotCrossBun!

On the uniform, an existing parent told me that the plan is to have a new uniform from Sept but not yet finalised.

It did concern me slightly (apart from the increased cost - no second hand stuff), in that maybe it suggests the new head intends to introduce a more formal feel (apparently she thinks the existing uniform is scruffy). I like the informal feel. Did that come across? I may be reading too much into it.
southgate dad

Post by southgate dad »

We went to the open morning today as well. We were extremely impressed with the size, facilities and teaching of the school. We have an extremely tough decision to make between Latymer and CLSG. Not sure which to choose :?: we were very impressed by the senior tour guide who showed us the school very well and was very independent. We too heard about the school uniform change from a city girl from dd's primary school. not too sure though. :?
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

We were there too and can echo much of what has been said above. Our tour guide was friendly and helpful; quietly self-confident without the slightest sense of entitlement.

We met a friendly, thoughtful family whose elder daughter is at SPGS and got their honest views on the advantages and disadvantages. I caught up with a lovely mother I met on the interview day. DD recognised several girls from the SPGS and HBS exams.

Enjoyed the way they allocated time, how all questions at the plenary session were from children, how they didn't bore the pants off us about their marvellous results, instead focussing on the realities of life at their school. I appreciated how little ego was thrust centre stage.

No sense of pushiness. School reassuringly "lived in" in places. We could easily see DD there. The diversity was great and seemed representative of the city as a whole. The school wears its distinctiveness comfortably.

Dug around a bit more tonight and found that twice recently CLSG girls had perfect (400/400) A level English Lit scores and came first in England and Wales. Here's the 2014 announcement and the one from 2012.

The principal is an exceptional linguist too, so I expect foreign language provision to be strong. Next I want to look at their science and maths.

Definitely food for thought.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Dadofmytwo

Post by Dadofmytwo »

Stroller wrote:We were there too and can echo much of what has been said above. Our tour guide was friendly and helpful; quietly self-confident without the slightest sense of entitlement.

We met a friendly, thoughtful family whose elder daughter is at SPGS and got their honest views on the advantages and disadvantages. I caught up with a lovely mother I met on the interview day. DD recognised several girls from the SPGS and HBS exams.

Enjoyed the way they allocated time, how all questions at the plenary session were from children, how they didn't bore the pants off us about their marvellous results, instead focussing on the realities of life at their school. I appreciated how little ego was thrust centre stage.

No sense of pushiness. School reassuringly "lived in" in places. We could easily see DD there. The diversity was great and seemed representative of the city as a whole. The school wears its distinctiveness comfortably.

Dug around a bit more tonight and found that twice recently CLSG girls had perfect (400/400) A level English Lit scores and came first in England and Wales. Here's the 2014 announcement and the one from 2012.

The principal is an exceptional linguist too, so I expect foreign language provision to be strong. Next I want to look at their science and maths.

Definitely food for thought.

I think you might be splitting hairs to an atomic level Stroller! :wink:
Personally, I think CSLG, SPGS & NLCS are all equally capable of giving DDs an excellent education and pushing them to their full potential. Whether 1 DD comes top in the UK (or even twice for the same school) doesn't really make one better than the other. As other posters have stated most schools in the top 50 position would bring out the best in a DC. It's down to whichever suits your DD the most.

Having said that, you are in a wonderful position to choose between 3 outstanding girls' schools (4 if your DD got into HBS as well)... which did you go for in the end? It's CLSG for us!!

DD has been asked to make language choices already for next year and she can't wait to get stuck in.
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

We went for CLGS. It just seemed like such nurturing, stimulating place. DD is now trying to choose two languages. It's all very exciting for her. :D