SHHS or Channing?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nlm

SHHS or Channing?

Post by Nlm »

Congratulations to all those receiving offers this weekend...
Channing or SHHS?
Any thoughts ?
fairyelephant

Re: SHHS or Channing?

Post by fairyelephant »

My DD is at Channing (year eight) and we are very happy with the school. The year seven settling in process was expertly done. She knew no one in her class but was happy from day one. They try hard to damp down the fact that many girls from the prep know each other by splitting them up and doing plenty of get to know you activities. She has made lots of friends, the girls in her form are a jolly lot.
There are plenty of very academic girls but not all are super bright, music and sporting prowess are also highly prized. We are very happy with DD's academic progress and the teaching. At Channing we feel she will do as well academically as she would at any school with confidence fully intact and with her lovely kind caring and charming nature supported, developed and encouraged. The new sports hall will open after half term.
It is nurturing, small enough to feel safe and supportive, all v important for my DD. Also v close to our home, easy short bus journey or 35 min walk when the buses strike!
Down sides for me are no DT or Food Tech and the brown uniform!
My DD loved it the moment she walked in, what does your DD think?
Last edited by fairyelephant on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

I would absolutely second all of that!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is such a great post Fairyelephant. Hope everyone who is thinking of Channing reads it. DG
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi NIm!

South Hampstead is more academic and, perhaps, more intense. The New Build must also make a difference to them.

Channing is less academic, with a broader ability range and so possibly kinder on some. Channing is also changing, maybe becoming more academically selective and improving facilities, as their neighbour Highgate and also South Hampstead have done.
Nlm

Post by Nlm »

Thanks for your comments!
People are saying great things about Channing !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now