DAO or St Albans High School for Girls?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Re: DAO or St Albans High School for Girls?

Post by loobylou »

I think that everyone has given really good advice.

My dd is at DAO in year 7 and it has been a ridiculously easy transition for her - she loves every minute of it, has made good friends, is loving being pushed academically (not pushed in a bad way but I'm not sure she feels she learnt anything in primary school), is taking part in band/orchestra/choir (that means a lot of concerts for us to go to but I have to say that they are nothing like other concerts I have *had* to attend - they are outstanding) and also part of a sports team despite not being that skilled (so she is being rewarded for her regular committed attendance by being allowed to play in a few matches which makes her feel fantastic)...
We knew all along that DAO would be the perfect fit for her if she could get in but of course that was never guaranteed so she sat for other schools as well.
We have a ds who will be attending DAO as well in another year. He will thrive there too although he is quite different from her in some ways... There are schools that dd sat for though that we would never have ever send ds to because they wouldn't have suited him.

I have several friends with children at different schools reflecting their different personalities. I think that you do have to look at your first child first and decide what's right for her and then see how that fits (or not) with subsequent children
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now