City of London Boys Offers, etc

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jean.Brodie

City of London Boys Offers, etc

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Some good friends of ours just got an offer.
tiffinboys

Re: City of London Boys Offers, etc

Post by tiffinboys »

Jean.Brodie wrote:Some good friends of ours just got an offer.
Well done. How are they sharing an offer? :wink:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

50% scholarshop offer for a ds I know of who is already holding an offer from Westminster. DG
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

We have to choose between Hampton and an academic scholarship at City. The difference in money means austerity or carrying on same standard of living. We also have 2 younger children at private school. Problem is his heart is set to Hampton and he doesn't fancy the commute in the tube at all, and Hampton offers a very cosy coach ride. I feel that 11 is a bit young to take the tube on his own. The travel time is about the same though, just more stressful. But is it worth £500 a month??
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

They get used to the tube journey very quickly if they want to do it and are excited about it. If he is not you might struggle. You also cannot help worrying a little bit about them travelling into London every day, but once again you get used to it. I always advise to ignore the scholarship. It's very nice if it happens to be at the school you want, but if it's not then ignore it. You should go to the open day again though and decide on the basis of which school he wants. He may feel differently with offers in hand.
pepys74a

Post by pepys74a »

DG, when did Westminster come out? I thought that they came out 1st week in March. We are still waiting.
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

I have picked some information up from other threads, but is anyone holding 11+ City offers that they are likely to decline ? If so, which other schools are being preferred and why ?

Equally useful if anyone is still waiting on first choice offers before deciding.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The Westminster offer came out last week. DG
LondonParents

Post by LondonParents »

We are in the process of considering CLSB and Habs, possibly GS. CLSB front runner, but Habs is closer. In the sad way that one does I was looking for as much info as possible and saw that CLSB governors minutes were online at http://www.democracy.cityoflondon.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, presumably because of links to the Corporation. There were a few things that concerned me and I wondered if there was any feedback from current parents. There is a quote from the previous head in the June 2012 minutes that "Westminster & St. Paul’s continue to scoop up the top day boys in this sector and, as ever, there were a number of last minute ‘swerves’ on the part of parents, who said they were set on City right up to the point at which the waiting list place from one of the above schools dropped on the mat. One parent paid his deposit and then promptly stopped the cheque on hearing of an offer from a few miles up river." Is that really the perspective that they have. I am assuming that the boys at this school don't feel second rate despite what their head says ?

Also is there any feedback on the new head. From experience schools can change for the sake of change when leadership changes and I wondered whether there was any feedback that might reassure us on this.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi LondonParents!

I wouldn't worry unduly about the quote you found from a previous Head at CLSB. There is a bit of a hierarchy of schools from some parents' perspective and that Head was merely describing what he observed, perhaps with a touch of self deprecation.

Looking at this another way, you will yourselves release at least one offer very soon and this will be based on your preferences or your 'hierarchy' of schools.

Ultimately, it's about self esteem and your son is likely to get that from home, not from what the parents of boys at other schools have chosen and why.

Good luck for next week.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now