Does DD have to show her working in maths in the Abbey test?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Imranali

Does DD have to show her working in maths in the Abbey test?

Post by Imranali »

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask if my DD has to show her working in the test for the Abbey. She explains to me how she got the answer when we practice but I don't know if she has to show the working and whether or not there are marks for it. Finally, in your opinion, is independent school maths easier or harder than grammer school maths?
Tinkers

Re: Does DD have to show her working in maths in the Abbey t

Post by Tinkers »

Unless it's multiple choice I would say it's good practice to show working in any exam. The usual rule is if you get the answer wrong but have got the correct working you will possibly get method marks but if there's no working they can't.

The Abbey exam isn't hugely difficult I believe, and they do also look at primary school reports as well.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not the hardness of the paper but the pass mark. State selectives tend to have more students applying so the pass mark to get a place is usually higher. I know of students who came in the 500's at DAO but managed to get scholarships at Habs and St Albans. This is because the competition is not so great.

I have been amazed at the levels of some of the students who have got places. DG
J50

Post by J50 »

Imranali wrote:Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask if my DD has to show her working in the test for the Abbey. She explains to me how she got the answer when we practice but I don't know if she has to show the working and whether or not there are marks for it. Finally, in your opinion, is independent school maths easier or harder than grammer school maths?

Depends on the independent school and depends on the grammer (sic). None are created equal...
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

IME Dc need to be good in both maths and English to get a grammar place - even if you excel in one, you will still need to at least pass the other. Independent schools don't have to be so rigid in their ranking, and obviously have fewer candidates. Certainly I've seen loads of lopsided candidates get into independent schools.

Workings are fairly key in maths papers unless it is multiple choice (when the wrong answer will usually indicate where the candidate went wrong). They are also expected for all exams whilst at senior school. So I would definitely encourage writings to be written where possible. Have a look at the Dulwich College past papers for maths - their marking scheme specifically shows the marks for workings.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now